The death of Royal Mail

A place to discuss anything.
Euler

Went to post something to somebody, same item as before but obviously at the new prices. It's gone up 65%!

I think what people don't realise is that not only have prices gone up but the banding for weights has moved as well so it's a double whammy.

In an industry that's seeing declining use and is outdated, you would think the last sensible thing to do would be to price more business out of the market.
andyfuller

It is a dying business and even GCSE economics tells you, increase the price and demand will fall.

It has to only be a matter of time until we lose the Saturday post. I also don't see why it costs the same to post a letter next door as it does from Lands End to Jon O'Groats - seems daft to me.

But on the upside the Royal Mail did provide one of the best, if not the best investment opportunities with the price hike.

It reminds me of the days when you used to stock up on fags when coming back through Duty Free :)
hgodden

Compared to the rest of Europe the price of stamps in this country has been incredibly cheap, a quator the price of sending something in France. IMO they're suffering partly due to the fact that they kept (or maybe were forced to keep) prices so low for so long. I don't see what else they can do tbh. I'm not sure about business users or what constitutes most of their custom but the average Joe isn't going to stop sending his Aunt a birthday card just because the price has gone up another few pennies!
superfrank

it's crap new for business. if you are an online retailer selling low value items it's a massive cost increase.
Euler

Surely they should be looking to cut costs to balance out the problems they have no hike prices, it's surely a road to ruin?

I've decided to switch to UPS for my overseas business stuff. Cheaper and better service. Was shocked when I went to send that item today, which is why I posted.
superfrank

Royal Mail Group HQ is at 100 Victoria Embankment overlooking the Thames at Blackfriars Bridge. a very nice grade II listed building (former Unilever House*).

a friend has been inside and it's very plush in there. good to know they decided to put up prices rather than reduce costs...

* The site of Unilever House was previously occupied by Bridewell Palace, a residence of Henry VIII, which later became a poorhouse and prison. These buildings were destroyed in 1864 to make way for the De Keyser Royal Hotel. In 1920, Lord Leverhulme leased the site to build the London headquarters of his soap manufacturing company Lever Brothers, which became Unilever in 1930. Construction did not commence until 1929.
legendz

The letters are nothing guys , thats why they've increased the price ,where letters have gone down , packets have rocketed, they introduced a new tracked service , its main users Argos ,Play.com , Amazon , Wiggle , M&S , Love Film , Game and Gamestation ,H.M.V, B.T. not to mention the zillions of packets through ebay and dhgate. They arent even bothered about the letter , business mail that can be machined yes , but your letter from aunty Gertie with the scrawled handwriting , they arent interested. I live a 1/4 mile from DurhamTees valley airport and from next year they are moving us to Newcastle mail centre (70mile round trip) and for my trouble ... twenty grand, my girlfriend works there and for her trouble another twenty grand , hopefully i'll be trading full time by then as im turning a steady profit now all be it small, but if not solar panels and an electric car me thinks.

Return to “General discussion”