The mental aspect of trading

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
JollyGreen

I made a post titled Is it luck or skill? and bluiboy made an excellent reply where he mentioned practice mode and real money mode. I just wanted to build on from that in the hope it will create some interesting debate and help some new traders.

One important thing to consider is the actual trading action and performance. It must be done without thinking i.e. unconscious competence, this is how successful traders perform but when you start out it is not going to be how you perform. Have a look at the Adult Learning Model (ALM) to help you determine where you, or anyone else reading this is located. There are 4 stages so check them for yourself using the attached picture.
4stagesoflearning.jpg
What's vital to anyone learning to trade is they must keep their emotions in check. When I work with new traders I implore them to enjoy it. In other areas of work where I have trained people I always tell them to enjoy it and many look at me as if I am mad but when I explain why and as the session continues they start to understand why.

In trading you must enjoy it without getting too excited; it would take me too long to cover every area of why but trust me it works.

The main reason is that you will relax if you are enjoying it and that is vital to correct brain function. That is why you must have a passion about trading or sport or both. By that I mean you can love horse racing football etc or just be passionate about the actual trading itself. If you hate trading or sport then you need to be exceptional to succeed at trading. I am not saying it cannot be done without passion but it will be a harder learning path and the successful traders I know have or had a real passion. Some have since moved on due to BetUNFair's excellent customer service skills and diminishing fees. :lol: :lol:

So why must you enjoy it? Well it's quite simple really and once you read this I hope it will help you going forward. The brain is a powerful tool, no computer can match it. Sadly it is good at doing one thing only to a high level and other functions will suffer as a result. I suppose it is like a single core CPU in basic terms.

That is not a true description of the brain but I don't want to get into a neurological study as it isn't necessary.

Your brain has a hierarchy in terms of function. The top level is where all of the important functions are located, i.e. heart rate, balance, breathing etc. We all do those without thinking and that is why we call them unconscious competence functions. When we are born we have only two natural reflexes, the fear of falling and the fear of loud noises, everything else must be learned and when we learn them well enough to make them another unconscious competence, guess where it is stored? Yes, that's correct it is in the same area as high level functions like breathing, heart rate.

The next level for the brain is emotion, this is second in the hierarchy.......BUT if emotion takes over it will shut down the higher level brain function. It will not stop you breathing or your heart beating as that will happen normally but it will shut down thinking thus preventing you from making correct decisions.

When you get emotional, you will probably notice your breathing pattern changes, your pulse races, etc but you stay alive. However it seems like your head is a hazy cloud of mush and you feel confused. That's because your emotions have taken over and higher brain function is now a passenger waiting for the CPU to become available. It isn't going to become available until you bring emotion under control and get everything back to normal. You've heard the expression "pull yourself together" and while that is a correct statement it's useless once you've lost your head. The main thing to do is not to let emotion takeover in the first place. That sounds easy I can hear some of you saying but how do we do it? Well we go back to my first assertion, enjoy yourself!

If you enjoy your trading and relax it will allow you to use higher brain function which will in turn allow you to think better and learn more. It will also mean you can improve quicker as you will store data much easier. If you feel a mistake occurring, i.e. the price has moved against you, dump it and do not allow it to move into stress and the possibility of shutting down higher brain function. This is why people who over analyse things struggle to become successful traders, once they start the analysis process it tends to spiral out of control and this prevents higher brain function which in turns stops them from thinking correctly and the result is failure. You may have heard of the expression "paralysis by analysis" and now you know why it is so true.

So next time you sit down to trade, enjoy it and I guarantee you will perform at a higher level. I am not saying you will suddenly become successful but I am saying given enough time you will improve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
to75ne

top post jg.

i have always believed that trading is first, last and always a head game.if you can understand your emotions and where they are coming from, and what they are doing to you; your in better place to try and "control/steer them", to work for you.

most neglected aspect of trading, taking ticks is the easy bit, controlling yourself is the hard part.
L.o.S

Definitely agree, I record my general mood along with trading results and there is a definite corrolation.

I've seen that learning matrix before but not for a fair while! When I left to trade full time I didn't actually know how to trade.. This was in January so I can identify with each of those stages. I would go as far as to say you can be in all of those stages at the same time with different aspects of your trading. Ie, swing trading unconsciously competent, scalping consciously incompetent.
convoysur-2

Hi Dave,
thats a great post .and so relevant to where i am at the moment.emotion is a bitch when trading..
Marc
LeTiss

This is always an area of trading that is overlooked

In the early days, I was in danger of developing Tourettes!
I'd explode into a tirade of 4 letter words when I lost a trade, and then followed that up with gambles, or very risky trades to compensate.
Or, I was so delighted to see a green screen, I'd start getting physical ticks with my mouse button, locking out for a profit only to find I lost potential riches by not letting them run.

These days, I'm very calm both with wins and losses.
Anybody who is too emotional, will struggle to retain logical decision making at critical times of making their entries and exits
redtra

Hi Jollygreen, that's a great post, it really is an eye opener and I can identify with it completely. I, like a few here, started trading in january using small stakes. The pattern of trading I can recognise from what you say and am not at a relaxed level at all (from your chart I would say number 2 unfortunately). I start off great and through the day do ok, making small profits, but then when something goes wrong...which is when i seem to have a little gamble,increase my stake or press a wrong button, it all goes to pot. If i am in the red or lose half my stake, then it is a slippery slope. All i can do is put on bigger stakes and trade on every race, go in play... til my bank has gone! At the time I know it is crazy but it is so difficult not to.

Your post makes me realise how similar we all are. You obviously know what you are talking about, so I am going to use this to learn from. From now on when I recognise any emotions, it is time to have a rest, after all, there are plenty more races to trade. That is another strange thing...even though there are hundreds more trades to have...it feels so critical to trade the next one after a loss. So thank you for this, it is making a lot of sense and I have a feeling it will make a big difference.
JollyGreen

Thanks to all who contributed, I am sure there are many who read it but didn't want to contribute which I am fine with. If however they want to get more advice on how to deal with this then please post and I will try and help.

Redtra - It shows you have the passion and the honesty to admit you struggle, that is the hardest part to deal with. As you've accepted it then read on and see if the following advice can help, I hope it will.

The common way to prevent this is to build logic into your situation. So if it all goes wrong, close for the loss, ask yourself "why did I join there?" or "what was I looking for when I joined the market?" I never join a market unless I know what I am looking for and what I am expecting. This means when I don't see what I expect, I simply don't join or if I have made a tentative entry and it changes I get out. This is simple logic at work, it isn't what I expected so I cancel. I then assess the market to see why it didn't work. The brain being the way it is with its hierarchy it will then not go into meltdown because you are processing logical arguments.

When you get good at injecting logic into your trading decision you can actually benefit from your initial error. Here is an example of this...

I look at the favourite and the market is telling me it is looking likely to steam in. I take a position based on my analysis by applying logic. Remember this is my logic and yours may be slightly different. It doesn't mean I am right and you are wrong it means we have used our own logic to make what we believe is the correct decision. Suddenly the market shifts so we inject more logic and ask "why?" Because we are using the top function of our brain and it is not shutting down we are still thinking logically. We realise the market has just changed and the favourite is now drifting. We can close out our initial order for a small loss and then catch the drift up.

You must appreciate these actions can be performed in the blink of an eye, the brain is that quick. If however, you don't apply logic in your initial decision then trying to change mid flow is almost impossible and the red mist will descend ready to confuse you and take your bank.

So when you join the market, use logic i.e. plenty of money lining up to back or oppose a horse, then constantly assess it in case a change comes. If the change comes your logical brain will spot it and you get a choice, 1] is it temporary resistance, the price will still go as expected or 2] Shit, this isn't what I expected, oh well, lets's get out. We keep our head and we reassess the market looking for an opportunity.

When I am well enough that is how I trade. I never let the fear of being wrong affect my trading. If the market changes and I am wrong I simply accept it and try again, please never ever say "I'll show you" as that is the quickest way to the poorhouse!!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed and to those who read it and found it useful.
redtra

Thank you JollyGreen for an extremely useful post. I understand what you are saying and am going to apply it when I start trading again...well, try my best to! But either way, to be aware of the necessity for logical thought and to have a good thought out reason before entering a trade really is sound advice. Thanks again!
convoysur-2

Hi jolly.
dont know where to start ,?
firstly by thanking you .peter lee,mugs.mr webb,james the 1st,and all the successfull traders who contribute without thought for personal gain to this forum,but from your core want to help people .because you All know the pain of becoming a successfull trader.and you like to give some help back ,i do admire that,ive been on here for 3-maybe 4 years ,and someting jolly said prompted me to pen this,(something like many read it but dont want to reply)this is a great post,and its like a mental stigma ,people come on here and read the posts,many come but most go,reasons for that in my opinion ? they are not prepared to put in the hundreds of hours or maybe thousands of hours in my case,tom be successfull,i have put thousands of hours in this and i have lost thousands of euros ,why ? the answer is THE MENTAL ASPECT OF TRADING.like the post suggests ,why am i still losing money ? my psychology is wrong,and im trying to get it to the right place,there is a reason why only like 5% of people on betfair are profitable ,because only 5% make it,and it takes some deep soal searching to find onesself.to have the disapline every day ,
im a drug addict ,been clean now for ten years ,im 47 years old .ive been very succssfull in the past 20 years made alot of money and lost it also (not on betfair), property etc,so why do i keep doing it ? why do i keep trying to trade? the answer is simple .ive put so much into it that i cant walk away.i cant stop,and the psychology of it is my biggest battle ,ive learned how the markets work,screw it ive watched them for thousands of hours i should know.i couldent get it last year dave when you told me that that the bigest problem most traders have is simply the way the look at the markets ..after watching all mugs videos ,the penny droped.so why am i not successfull after all this help? PRESSURE (and im not looking for sympathy that can be found in the dictonary betweeen shit and sypholus)pressure of losing my job ,my house,my car,pressure of entering a market thinking i must make money from this,i have to,i have a mental block with this ,and i fighting hard to correct it,if i can overcome this obsticle i will be free and making money,the thing that keeps me going at the monent is a statement from one of my great idols brain tracy ,
YOUR GREATEST ACHEVIEMT IS OFTEN JUST ONE STEP PAST WHAT YOU THOUGHT WAS YOUR GREATEST FAILURE,
,happy trading i hope my words are of some value to someboby.
kind regards,
Marc Brennan.

Return to “Trading Psychology”