Next Prime Minister / Tory Party Leader

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:16 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:18 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:30 pm

Ask Archery. ;)
The Tory membership is white, well off, right of centre and thinks Truss is Thatcher's daughter or reincarnation.

Truss is not about so called handouts, nor was Thatcher, afterall she nicked free milk off the young ones, which didn't cost the state/tax payers much anyway. They both believe/believed in a citizen making their own way in life with very little state help or intervention. Work hard, work harder to earn more, climb the ladder to your own home. If your unemployed, part-time worker, homeless or have mental health issues then its kind of down to you to resolve. Stop moaning about the cards life has dealt you and get on with it. Thatcher would have told Macron to fcuk off ages ago if she was around, like Truss wanted to do, you could tell when she was asked the question. Don't forget, Thatcher basically told the US president, Ronald Reagan to fcuk off when he asked her not to go to war with Argentina over the falklands.

Both Truss and Thatcher have very similar mindsets, Truss will try and crush public sector workers who go on striking, much as did Thatcher with the miners and others.

Thatcher, Truss, Sir Winston and Boris (Sorry Derek) are the type of PM you need or thrive in time of War but not for running a country on a day to day basis. Actually very few PM or Presidents are good at doing both, history shows that.

So, to cut a long story short, will Truss be good for the country, NO, unless we suddenly find ourselves at War. Some believe that's why Thatcher actually went to War with Argentina because she knew her grip was starting to slip running the country even after just 3 years. Thats a long time in politics.

Sunak is probably the best out of the 2 for knowing what to do on energy and actually helping the real people in need like he did with furlough even though some fell through the cracks. If he had of incorperated everyone which Labour, Liberals and SNP wanted him too then there would have been even more furlough fraud. Personally, i think he did the best he could at the time and it was one of the best support packages offered anywhere in the world barring Switzerland and Singapore.

The next 2 years are going to be crippling for millions. The Tory membership are pretty much immune from financial disaster, so will go with what they think is 'Mrs T' part 2.

But to me, sorry Greenmark and others, no point in sticking plasters, you need to do deal with the real problem or elephant in the room. Meaning, get rid of Putin and his select few asap otherwise the same energy crisis will happen across Europe in 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 etc. And that would mean an awfull lot of borrowing, probably £1 trillion or so. That can't be allowed to go on.

With all these billions the UK, Europe and the World are having to pay, far easier to divert all that money into military ways of taking Putin out quickly. Cut the head off the snake and it will fall. So will the Russian army, whats left of it.

I am a tory voter and have been since I was 18 but I think Truss is going to cause an absolute disaster.
You can't "get rid of Putin". Only Russian's can do that.
You can, as world leaders go, Putin is one of the least protected, especially when he leaves Russia, as he will be in October.

You can’t have someone holding the world to ransom and doing whatever he wants. We went down that route in 1939. Hitler could have been stopped well before then. But as history should we, Europe, USA was week until it was nearly to late.

Our country is going to end up bankrupt if this is allowed to continue.

Call it murder or whatever you wish too but he needs to go asap.
Emmson

Archery1969 wrote:

"Thatcher, Truss, Sir Winston and Boris (Sorry Derek) are the type of PM you need or thrive in time of War"

One of the most bizarre statements I have ever read on this board, I might *grudgingly* go along with Maggie but Truss and Boris being categorized with Winnie as a wartime leader. LMAO! :D
Archery1969

Emmson wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:43 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

"Thatcher, Truss, Sir Winston and Boris (Sorry Derek) are the type of PM you need or thrive in time of War"

One of the most bizarre statements I have ever read on this board, I might *grudgingly* go along with Maggie but Truss and Boris being categorized with Winnie as a wartime leader. LMAO! :D
Wait and see where Truss takes the country. I am convinced it will be to war before the next general election.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:28 am
Emmson wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:43 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

Wait and see where Truss takes the country. I am convinced it will be to war before the next general election.
If Putin attacks and Truss dithers the way she does when questioned about economic policies, we'll all be fucked! She'll give the order to press the button and then do a u-turn, or the missiles themselves might decide to do a u-turn under her leadership!
Archery1969

Government representative says energy crisis expected to last until next general election and probably beyond. 😱 Going to cost hundreds of billions.

Doubt there will be enough money for NHS. It will collapse. 😱
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:17 pm
Government representative says energy crisis expected to last until next general election and probably beyond. 😱 Going to cost hundreds of billions.

Doubt there will be enough money for NHS. It will collapse. 😱
:lol: One day one of your doomsday predictions will come true. I hope the internet is still functional ahead of Armegeddon at the time to say you were right all along. :-)
Armegeddon for me has arrived. 6.7% of my spending was on energy. October it will be 25%. God help those that are up to the hilt with spending and credit.
Don't quite get why Zahawi is suggesting extra help for people on £45k. That's compared to the average of £25-30k depending which data source you go to.
These folks have wriggle room. Someone on "living wage" has no scope to recoup the extra cost of a 250% hike in energy costs.
Archery1969

No way Truss is going to agree to all this borrowing and handouts, so expect another leadership contest in 12 months. :o
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:46 pm
No way Truss is going to agree to all this borrowing and handouts, so expect another leadership contest in 12 months. :o
Given that the majority of MPs want Sunak and the 1922 committee has the power to change the rules, I think the leadership contest could come sooner.
Archery1969

Trade unions to meet next month to agree coordinated strikes on the same and/or subsequent days for maximum impact unless they get an across the board 12% pay increase.

Obviously that will cripple the country and take us back to the scenes of the 1970s.

I attended a Tory membership meeting today and was rather horrified at some papers being discussed.

In case of civil unrest:

- Army to be given special powers without the necessary Parliament approval to take over dealing with any civil disobedience.

- Curfews from 9.00pm until 6.00am. Key works issued with special pass and exempt.

- Police to take lead from Army on the ground.

- Emergency legislation for strikes to be made illegal.

- Anyone caught rioting or committing civil unrest and found guilty who are in receipt of benefits to be sanctioned.

- Sentences for those committing acts of rioting and civil unrest to be increased by 50%.

I think everyone needs to hope that Sunak wins because Truss will probably adopt one, some or all of the above.

Kinda of sounds like something that happens in 3rd world countries.

Shocking, even by my standards.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:04 am
I attended a Tory membership meeting today...
What was the food like? Sandwiches or a hot buffet? Free beer or wine? :)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:21 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:04 am
I attended a Tory membership meeting today...
What was the food like? Sandwiches or a hot buffet? Free beer or wine? :)
Hot buffet and wine. They asked for a £25 contribution but it was optional. :)
Archery1969

Liz Truss has ruled out more direct support for all.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:35 pm
Liz Truss has ruled out more direct support for all.
Terrific. Tax cuts = reducing income for the Exchequer = cuts in service and/or capital projects (or borrow more but as we've stopped quantative easing, that looks unlikely).
So she's hoping the unleashing of entrepreneurial enthusiasm will rejuvenate an economy battered by labour/skills shortages and historically high energy prices.
And while this all plays out a lot of people are going to suffer. With a GDP per capita of £47000, surely we can protect OAP's and low-earners?
Or perhaps this is embodies the Thatcherite mantra."there is no such thing as society".

"I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand ‘I have a problem, it is the Government’s job to cope with it!’ or ‘I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!’ ‘I am homeless, the Government must house me!’ and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first.

… [It] is, I think, one of the tragedies in which many of the benefits we give, which were meant to reassure people that if they were sick or ill there was a safety net and there was help, that many of the benefits which were meant to help people who were unfortunate … [t]hat was the objective, but somehow there are some people who have been manipulating the system … when people come and say: ‘But what is the point of working? I can get as much on the dole!’
Derek27

She's a true reincarnation of Thatcher, but she won't last long. It's just a question of how far down the shithole she takes the country.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:47 pm
She's a true reincarnation of Thatcher, but she won't last long. It's just a question of how far down the shithole she takes the country.
I think, even with the new rule changes, she cant be challenged/ousted in her first year. Unless ofcourse the government lost a vote of no condifence. i.e. the Conservative party brings itself down just to get rid of her for the sack of the country.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”