General Election 2019 (UK)

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
greenmark

If Johnson gets a majority he can do what he likes. Unless he proposes legislation that causes a rebellion in the Tory party.
He's slaughtered his brexit opponents.
Farage has backed off.
So we now face another negotiation with the EU, with the risk of a 'no deal' scenario, because parliament can supercede any previous legislation.
You're right Boris, groundhog day.
Edit:
Sorry. Just to clarify. BT was rubbish as a nationalised organisation.
It's been rubbish as a privately owned organisation.
What is going to change by taking it back into public ownership.
Last edited by greenmark on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenmark

Oh you can't be serious!
Labour "The party would nationalise part of BT and introduce a tax on tech giants to cover the £20bn cost."
BT is rubbish, mainly because they've been able to maintain a monopoly position (broadly speaking).
I've been a BT and Sky customer and I'd take Sky any day of the week.
BT are unresponsive, dishonest and incompetent in my direct experience.
Sky are efficient and business-like, if you can't negotiate you're screwed, but they know the price they want to deal with you and you need to know the price you want to deal with them.
Euler

Nationalising everything is such a bankrupt policy and will destroy investment and the economy and, it is clearly not the answer.

BT is a good case in point. It use to be the nationalised general post office. If that was still nationalised it's unlikely we would have any internet! I remember my Dad being on a waiting list for a phone and when we got it it was so expensive to use, my Dad banned me from phoning anyone on it!

I've always felt with these extreme policies it's stark choice. You either have personal freedom to spend as you wish and do what you like with the money you have worked hard to earn. Or you hand control to a small number of politicians who take your money and do with it what they like and tell you what you can and can't do. You hand control to the few, not the many. I know which I prefer.
greenmark

Euler wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:21 pm
Nationalising everything is such a bankrupt policy and will destroy investment and the economy and is clearly not the answer.

BT is a good case in point. It use to be the nationalised general post office. If that was still nationalised it's unlikely we would have any internet! I remember my Dad being on a waiting list for a phone and when we got it it was so expensive to use, my Dad banned me from phoning anyone on it!
Sorry Euler. I have massive respect for you. But BT are a nationalised industry (monopoly). They are so inefficient and dishonest and unresponsive in my first-hand experience. But re-nationalising them is ludicrous, it will fix nothing. We now need regulators with real teeth or free market. The latter of which I can't countenance.
Euler

I agree, I think the regulation has been poor. The extension of FTTC only reached my area a few years ago and will are still years away from FTTP so have started a community project to get it. Where I moved to we only got slow FTTC last year!!! Get competitive bids and invest, but don't nationalise.

BT have deliberately dragged their heels on upgrading infrastructure. I understand why they would do that from a business perspective, but high speed internet is like motorways. They can have great benefits and are worth investing in from a broad perspective for the benefit of everybody.
Jukebox

Euler wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:21 pm
......it was so expensive to use, my Dad banned me from phoning anyone on it!
And quite right too! You were probably up to no good anyway.
Derek27

On the Sky paper review they're talking about Labour nationalizing broadband!

As for BT, before it was privatised about 4 out of 5 phone boxes were broken. Within a month or two after privatisation there were all fixed, and we needed them at the time!
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:49 pm
On the Sky paper review they're talking about Labour nationalizing broadband!

As for BT, before it was privatised about 4 out of 5 phone boxes were broken. Within a month or two after privatisation there were all fixed, and we needed them at the time!
BT are bloody awful. You might point to the seperation of Openreach.
I'm just saying my experience of BT was abysmal.
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:34 pm
Sorry. Just to clarify. BT was rubbish as a nationalised organisation.
It's been rubbish as a privately owned organisation.
What is going to change by taking it back into public ownership.
It will probably never happen. As we saw on 2017 Corbyn will ride on any bandwagon that is popular and if a bandwagon doesn't exist he will start one … this is just one of those. Remember how he rolled back on his pre-election promises of writing off student loans etc. after the election was lost saying that it was 'just an aspiration' when discussed/challenged post election. It sure didn't sound like just an aspiration when proposed. The bandwagon here is not the privatisation of BT, it's the offer of free broadband for all. That's what he wants us to buy.
Archery1969

When they say free broadband for all, will it cover me too ? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

Can't wait to hear what McDonnell is going to do about the weather. Looking forward to how nationalisation will stop it from raining.
Derek27

Wouldn't free food, gas & electricity be better? ;)
dragontrades

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:09 pm
Wouldn't free food, gas & electricity be better? ;)
UBI trial is going in the manifesto
superfrank

BXP have stood down from another 43 seats (Tory target marginals).
Derek27

superfrank wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:28 pm
BXP have stood down from another 43 seats (Tory target marginals).
They've all be offered jobs as tory teaboys.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”