Reality

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Naffman

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:08 pm
Naffman wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:56 pm
Surprised his name's Oliver tbf, thought it'd be Tony :lol:
Tony who? :lol: :lol:
The badger ;)
LeTiss

For somebody who has spent years losing money, I suggest your fabulous new strategy is based on gambling, not trading.

In my experience, gamblers love to tell everyone about their winners, but keep quite about losers. This is why I think you are a gambler Oilver, because a proper trader would have more discretion and class than you are currently showing here
ShaunWhite

oliver123 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:50 pm
Oh, and there is still another 12 races!!
We're all incredibly jealous of you . You obviously know far more than everyone here put together.
SeaHorseRacing

I cant really comment on something I dont know but concious we should keep replies more supportive.
ruthlessimon

Bluesky wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:18 am
I've grown quite fond of these strange little posts that pop up
i love em! reading these threads is such a laugh, please lads do more, the more angry the better :D :twisted:
LinusP

Its obvious that a few on here have gambling problems, as a community we should probably do more to help.
SeaHorseRacing

That is a very good point. There is a fine line between trading and gambling and I think most who are successful at this are aaddicts to. it just so happens there profitable.

I think a period of not getting the right help could turn novices into addicts whn they could have potential to do well.

I will be the first to admit it, its not easy staying away from the markets. Does that make me one, quite likely.
LeTiss

The line between trading and gambling is murky, and it's an easy one to cross.

We are all involved in gambling here, but the traders are ones who have an exit strategy.

I suspect Oliver123 doesn't have an exit strategy to what he's doing - he is currently on a roll, but he's gambling, not trading. My advice to him is to make his successes work for him, e.g. buy himself a nice car with the proceeds, so when it all goes tits up, he can look at the cracking motor on the drive and be happy it lasted for a while, and not depressed that he lost it all
iambic_pentameter

"Trading before the race is flipping crazy! Yep if
you have a betting bank of £200,000 then fine. But we don't have. So
tell us how you make your money and I'll tell you hoI made nearly
£4000 yesterday!!"

Given the time that the original post was made, along with the fruity language and typo, I suspect that the OP was 'tired and emotional'

But, I'm not here to rain on their parade - do the decent thing Oliver123 and post up a Betfair P&L sreenshot.
SeaHorseRacing

LeTiss wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:39 am
The line between trading and gambling is murky, and it's an easy one to cross.

We are all involved in gambling here, but the traders are ones who have an exit strategy.

I suspect Oliver123 doesn't have an exit strategy to what he's doing - he is currently on a roll, but he's gambling, not trading. My advice to him is to make his successes work for him, e.g. buy himself a nice car with the proceeds, so when it all goes tits up, he can look at the cracking motor on the drive and be happy it lasted for a while, and not depressed that he lost it all
I completely agree with you LeTiss. From someone who had been reckless and busting banks at-least every month or so, to now its been four months without even close to doing it.

All it requires is a desire to change, commitment and keep working at it.
For those of you who are struggling and dont believe its possible. It is.

Staying grounded will keep you on the road to profit. My bad habits are few and far between. What I have learned is its impossible to stop those bad moments. I still have to odd occasion where I do something stupid but my real focus is how I respond.

Its like getting fit, its easy to come up with a diet and a work out. Its easy to stick to it. What is not easy is that one day you give in for that cake.

I have been eaten healthy now and working out most days but what always happens is if I eat that cake, I go into a 3 day binge of eaten crap.

Its critical to stop at that point. Every time I have a bad trade and a loss bigger then expected I have a plan in place to make sure it doesnt turn into a binge.

Last night I got caught inplay on the greyhounds and lost £45 quid early on in the evening. I responded so well that I ended up with a 31p profit in the end. I have been caught inplay on the greyhounds about 4 times now this year and last year that would have been 4 banks gone.

Firstly every race I trade I accept that this will happen. If I am going to trade the greyhounds I will get caught every now and then I cannot avoid it. Its just a variable.
The best trick I have to overcome this is expect to not make money when I trade. My objective for everytrade is to play the long game.
Ive really struggle at times but it really does get easier.

Sorry for highjacking the thread.
Bluesky

SeaHorseRacing wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:47 am

I completely agree with you LeTiss. From someone who had been reckless and busting banks at-least every month or so, to now its been four months without even close to doing it.

All it requires is a desire to change, commitment and keep working at it.
For those of you who are struggling and dont believe its possible. It is.

Staying grounded will keep you on the road to profit. My bad habits are few and far between. What I have learned is its impossible to stop those bad moments. I still have to odd occasion where I do something stupid but my real focus is how I respond.

Its like getting fit, its easy to come up with a diet and a work out. Its easy to stick to it. What is not easy is that one day you give in for that cake.

I have been eaten healthy now and working out most days but what always happens is if I eat that cake, I go into a 3 day binge of eaten crap.

Its critical to stop at that point. Every time I have a bad trade and a loss bigger then expected I have a plan in place to make sure it doesnt turn into a binge.

Last night I got caught inplay on the greyhounds and lost £45 quid early on in the evening. I responded so well that I ended up with a 31p profit in the end. I have been caught inplay on the greyhounds about 4 times now this year and last year that would have been 4 banks gone.

Firstly every race I trade I accept that this will happen. If I am going to trade the greyhounds I will get caught every now and then I cannot avoid it. Its just a variable.
The best trick I have to overcome this is expect to not make money when I trade. My objective for everytrade is to play the long game.
Ive really struggle at times but it really does get easier.

Sorry for highjacking the thread.
Great post SHR sounds like all the work you have been putting in working on your leaks is starting to pay off. I think a tiny tiny few take to trading like a duck to water and have virtually no problems to deal with. Most of us on the other hand have lots of issues to work through before we start to make some real progress.
iambic_pentameter

Well done, SHR.

Bluesky - I think that it's probably better for a trader's development to have those issues to work through. Not only does it make it more satisfying when you get it right, you also have the luxury of knowing what to look out for in the future.
Halliday

oliver123 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 am
For as much as I like Pete.I think he is delusional. Pete, my friend, you
really need to get real. Trading before the race is flipping crazy! Yep if
£4000 yesterday!!
Please don't get me started on Oliver123 , if you have ever read his previous posts or watched his ludicrous " sniping " videos on YouTube and DailyMotion you'd understand

Yet another poster who probably does need help and support , but perhaps if he didn't spout so much rubbish we might be more understanding

As I have said before there are several posters on here ( this thread included) who contradict themselves at every turn, and expect you to treat their opinions seriously and believe that could ever make a profit .. or have changed

Certainly 2 on this thread that need the dreaded Timeform squiggle as a warning to new posters .. I'm off before I go "of on one " Grrr !!
SeaHorseRacing

Halliday wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:53 pm
oliver123 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 am
For as much as I like Pete.I think he is delusional. Pete, my friend, you
really need to get real. Trading before the race is flipping crazy! Yep if
£4000 yesterday!!
Please don't get me started on Oliver123 , if you have ever read his previous posts or watched his ludicrous " sniping " videos on YouTube and DailyMotion you'd understand

Yet another poster who probably does need help and support , but perhaps if he didn't spout so much rubbish we might be more understanding

As I have said before there are several posters on here ( this thread included) who contradict themselves at every turn, and expect you to treat their opinions seriously and believe that could ever make a profit .. or have changed

Certainly 2 on this thread that need the dreaded Timeform squiggle as a warning to new posters .. I'm off before I go "of on one " Grrr !!
Stop being a bully mate. You feel the need to critsce everyone. If you want to go off on one. Send me a private message. I will hapilly oblige to listen.
Warning to new posters. Be really carefull what you say there is a suspicious police offier who spend his afternoon going through everyone of your posts... just to oppose you.

Get a grip please. Its a forum, were all learning, we all have different persoaniltys. By all measn oppose opinions. But yes its probably best if you go before you spend the rest of your day looking through Oliver123 previous posts and account history.
ShaunWhite

Halliday wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:53 pm

I totally agree.

There's a lot of fake mysticism and cod psycology about 'trading' but it's no different to any other business. Ups and downs...it just happens on a much shorter time scale.

Take farming, you plant a crop and have no idea what it's going to be worth or if a storm will wipe it out altogether. There seem to be a lot of traders who've been salaried and never had to stand or fall on their own merit. If you think trading is hard, try starting a business. I'm not staying it's easy, far from it, just that it's problems are not unique or unexpected.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”