Today's Cricket

T20, IPL, Test matches or the Ashes, discuss it here.
firlandsfarm

Congrats to Jimmy Anderson on taking his 600th Test Wicket … who's next? Broad? Over 500 wickets and 4 years younger!
abgespaced

Emmson wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:36 pm
I did not muster all that green from 1 tick scalping. Position taking is important
I don't understand how anybody could consistently make money scalping the cricket, unless you are a courtsider / have sub 1 second feed. Every time I've taken up a scalping position I get destroyed by snipers when a wicket or a boundary is scored. And you never know which one is coming next.
wearthefoxhat

abgespaced wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:15 pm
Emmson wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:36 pm
I did not muster all that green from 1 tick scalping. Position taking is important
I don't understand how anybody could consistently make money scalping the cricket, unless you are a courtsider / have sub 1 second feed. Every time I've taken up a scalping position I get destroyed by snipers when a wicket or a boundary is scored. And you never know which one is coming next.
Can't speak for Emmson, but I noticed that there are/were larger swings (more than 1 tick) than you would typically see for scalping (one tick), in all of the 3 possible overall outcomes. The liquidity confirms it's a popular sport to trade. (Tennis is similar - only 2 outcomes)

It's one of those markets that can cause a trader to panic as it can swing quickly away from you. When it does, it's important to know why. Assuming everything being equal, ie: Weather normal, both teams evenly balanced, something to play for, it's then a question of how effective the bowlers/batsman are performing during each over. (In Tennis, it's each game during a set)

Also, is there a star performer in the ranks? Back in the day, Australia had spinner Shane Warne who could win the game on his own. Or Andrew Flintoff doing an Ian Botham, more recently Ben Stokes, single handedly turning the game around on their own.

On the automation forum, Dallas posted up a directional scalping bot. That might be worth looking at and testing out, maybe adapting slightly to suit your own needs in the market(s) you choose.

You predicted a move on the draw yesterday, down to 1.10, it hit 1.11 and stabilised at 1.14 for a while. (I think the price was 1.35 at the time). That's a good example of having a trading plan. When there's confirmation that you're in the right ball park, then jump on it until the trend reverses. In this example, you may not of got the 1.35, but maybe 1.30 down to at least 1.14 or even 1.11. Nice swing trade.

Using the matrix quality assurance maxim;

Plan
Do
Review

Remember to apply Nelson Mandela's mantra;

nelson.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeTiss

Test matches are not similar to tennis though. There's 3 possible outcomes in a Test match
abgespaced

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:17 am
Thanks Fox. I appreciate the feedback.

I am aiming for a more structured approach.

It's become clear to me how easily the big players are able to take advantage of the smallers player's emotions.

They are using automations that completely take the emotion out of it, so anyone in there with emotion is going to get demolished.
If not full automation then at least partly automated. E.g. multibet tools.

The only way to beat it is to have a similar arrangement that takes away the operator error.

I can see a number of options for the different plays available.

Emmson's "position taking" approach for example. Knowing the positions you want in and out of the market before getting involved (I'm guessing). Then just let it run.

Interested to see what the automated scalping bot would do.
Kai

abgespaced wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:15 pm
I don't understand how anybody could consistently make money scalping the cricket, unless you are a courtsider / have sub 1 second feed.
Well, you don't have to scalp the play itself or depend on fast picture advantage, you can scalp the ladder instead (the market noise) just based off reading order flow and mostly outside of play. A lot of good scalping approaches and edges do come from the ladder side of things.

Good scalping has a very high skill cap and scalability but looking at the mechanics of this market, it has many breaks so that makes scalping viable, and it's easier to scalp once the 5 second bet delay goes away but if the big money gets pulled and market goes into swing mode then I'd say that swinging some of it is a more sensible approach, like the swing I executed on the previous game without really knowing what's going on if I'm being honest.

But regarding scalping, there is no delay when removing bets and that's an important mechanic that can be abused. Many abuse it at a decent level on various inplay markets, including Psychoff.
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:26 pm
...like the swing I executed on the previous game without really knowing what's going on if I'm being honest.
I can see what you mean. I don't really know what's going on in the Knight Rider match, can barely see the little Betfair screen but managed to get a few swings in. :D

It feels quite surreal trading cricket with the amount of money on the ladder. The delay feels like 2 minutes!
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:45 pm
Kai wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:26 pm
...like the swing I executed on the previous game without really knowing what's going on if I'm being honest.
I can see what you mean. I don't really know what's going on in the Knight Rider match, can barely see the little Betfair screen but managed to get a few swings in. :D

It feels quite surreal trading cricket with the amount of money on the ladder. The delay feels like 2 minutes!
Noice, sometimes the less you know the better you trade :D

Not even joking, my biggest losses always came from having a very strong opinion about something which makes me prone to mismanaging my positions, and the other way around with some of the best trades happening when I have no opinion whatsoever :mrgreen:

My holy trinity is the matched column, matchsticks and the Betfair graph, in that order, what more could a trader possibly want? :D
abgespaced

Kai wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:00 am

Not even joking, my biggest losses always came from having a very strong opinion about something which makes me prone to mismanaging my positions, and the other way around with some of the best trades happening when I have no opinion whatsoever :mrgreen:
100% agree! I never took large losses on any sport until I read a cricket trading guide :lol:
Emmson

Interesting to see what impact the 1st live cricket on BBC for 20 years has on todays Eng Pak T20.
spreadbetting

Emmson wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:39 pm
Interesting to see what impact the 1st live cricket on BBC for 20 years has on todays Eng Pak T20.

A negative impact on my balance

Untitled.png
Emmson

I frittered away green in the chase on the Pakistan side of the ladder. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
abgespaced

I wish they put some cricket on at normal times of the day for the rest of the world!

Stuck between England and the Caribbean for games means I don't get to see most of them as they are on too late at night for me, or in the wee hours of the morning.
Kai

abgespaced wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:29 am
Kai wrote:

100% agree! I never took large losses on any sport until I read Caans cricket trading guide :lol:
It has become my dream as well, to one day become as good a cricket trader as Caan Berry ;)
Naffman

Kai wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:04 pm
abgespaced wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:29 am
Kai wrote:

100% agree! I never took large losses on any sport until I read Caans cricket trading guide :lol:
It has become my dream as well, to one day become as good a cricket trader as Caan Berry ;)
The cranberry is only after easy money selling ebooks, he doesn't care if you find it useful or not, best finding your own way through the markets and forming your own opinions

Return to “Betfair Cricket trading”