RANT CORNER

A place to discuss anything.
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:18 pm
£60k ain't a lot if you're 30 something with kids, mortgage etc.
It's a lot if you earn £40k aged 30 something with kids, mortgage etc. and can't get to work because some selfish geezer who earns £60k wants more!
greenmark

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:17 am
greenmark wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:18 pm
£60k ain't a lot if you're 30 something with kids, mortgage etc.
It's a lot if you earn £40k aged 30 something with kids, mortgage etc. and can't get to work because some selfish geezer who earns £60k wants more!
Maybe you're right. I believe there are more people wanting to be a train driver than there are jobs. Supply and demand should mean wages fall. But accountancy and other professions have mastered that anomaly. The stewards of the exams make sure the market isn't flooded with the newly qualified by raising the bar when necessary. That sustains salaries at a distorted rate.
Derek27

It's funny how when you're in a busy supermarket late Saturday morning, desperate to get home in time for the 12:30 match, everybody around you becomes an adversary. Even the guy with a charity bucket that stopped me, I felt like punching him just like the airport scene in Airplane! :lol: :lol:
Archery1969

Is someone seriously suggesting that train drivers are worth more than 2 x a policeman’s salary and 3 x a soldiers salary ?

No way on earth.

Train drivers have been very lucky they had a union fighting their corner over the last 30 years.

But it’s not sustainable. And 100% won’t be if Labour want to renationalise the industry.

And don’t get me started on underground tube drivers earning £70k plus.

My advice to them all would be, keep laughing, you won’t be for very much longer.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:52 pm
Is someone seriously suggesting that train drivers are worth more than 2 x a policeman’s salary and 3 x a soldiers salary ?

No way on earth.

Train drivers have been very lucky they had a union fighting their corner over the last 30 years.

But it’s not sustainable. And 100% won’t be if Labour want to renationalise the industry.

My advice to them all would be, keep laughing, you won’t be for very much longer.
Every six-year-old wants to be a train driver when he grows up. They should do the job for free. :)
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:

No way on earth.

Yes. That's the awful dynamic of worth against percieved worth.
I value coppers and the military far more highly these days.
Michael5482

Seems like rant corner has become political corner, I was guilty myself in the past hands up no problem but f@ck me it's tedious now.
foxwood

Always been on here since the first page - but at least you got it out of your system ;)
Kai

Derek needs to stop watching the news all day, 90% of posts are political :)

Can recommend some fantastic shows instead etc, check out Fallout
greenmark

Michael5482 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:57 pm
Seems like rant corner has become political corner, I was guilty myself in the past hands up no problem but f@ck me it's tedious now.
Politics, law and order, religion. All fertile ground for ranting. This is the place for all of that and frustration with uncooperative inanimate objects, supermarket trolley behaviour, supermarkets moving stuff around for no apparent reason etc etc etc. I just wish other threads would stay on thread. But humans aren't like that.
CloseBets

greenmark wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:09 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

No way on earth.

Most coppers and squaddies I've met are as thick as planks, I'd imagine supermarket workers seem to put their lives more on the line these days than most and they get peanuts.
greenmark

CloseBets wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:33 pm
greenmark wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

No way on earth.

Most coppers and squaddies I've met are as thick as planks, I'd imagine supermarket workers seem to put their lives more on the line these days than most and they get peanuts.
I think you've met the wrong ones. But I agree supermarket workers can be a source of joy. And when they help me I make sure they know how much I appreciate their help.
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:16 am

Do you have Sky News where you are? The anchorwomen/reporters are so hot you won't be able to switch off. :D

At the moment I'm catching up with old comedies, The IT Crowd, Not Going Out, Red Dwarf (never seen series 7 onwards), The Brittas Empire, Men Behaving Badly. I'm also going through the Comic Strip Presents... but I'm stuck on Eat The Rich, can't find it anywhere.
Derek27

CloseBets wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:33 pm
greenmark wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

No way on earth.

Careful, there are a lot of ex-squaddies on here. :)
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:29 pm
Kai wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:16 am

Do you have Sky News where you are? The anchorwomen/reporters are so hot you won't be able to switch off. :D
Don't think so, it's mostly just makeup and styling :)

But that's how engagement farming works, news has become an entertainment business :)

You are what you watch though, should turn that crap off and touch grass. If news is important it will reach you anyway.

Slim pickings there as well if you limit yourself to UK shows only, they usually have to work with very tight budgets. Missing out on stuff like Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Parks and Recreation, 3 Body Problem, Foundation...

Return to “General discussion”