Coronavirus - A pale horse,4 men and ....beer

A place to discuss anything.
Kai

Yes, if your business doesn't have a sign in the window saying Black Lives Matter or at least a hashtag this effectively means that you are most definitely racist :D

What I find interesting is that there's no Wikipedia entry for Black Privilege (I guess it must not exist then), but there is an entry for White Privilege. There's just no way to win with entitlement mentality, ironically people that are shouting those slogans the loudest are the most racist.
Kafkaesque

Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:35 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:46 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Pretty sure most people protesting in London, Dublin, the US.. are genuinely protesting against racism.

However I do think its sad that this poor guys death (murder) has been turned into the worlds biggest bandwagon
Yesterday in London people were protesting against the death of a black guy at the hands of UK police in 2008!!!

Like it or not the media cycle in this part of the world is focused on America so when something like this happens in the States it gets big media attention in the UK and Ireland and riles people up.

There was a protest outside the American embassy here in Dublin a few days ago and a lot of signs saying black lives matter held up by young white kids. On the one hand it was good to see but on the other I was tempted to ask them why there was nobody holding signs up about all the brown lives lost in Yemen and Syria. Younger people now are driven by social media so if it ain't got a hashtag people under 40 don't seem to give a damn unless it directly affects them.

Somebody on the forum posted an image the other day of a map with all the locations around the world where there were protests. What stood out to me was there didn't seem to be any protests in Africa.
You're trolling with that last paragraph, right?
Trader Pat

Kafkaesque wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:43 pm
You're trolling with that last paragraph, right?
My attempt at irony

Should have made that clearer
firlandsfarm

Kai wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:42 pm
Yes, if your business doesn't have a sign in the window saying Black Lives Matter or at least a hashtag this effectively means that you are most definitely racist :D

What I find interesting is that there's no Wikipedia entry for Black Privilege (I guess it must not exist then), but there is an entry for White Privilege. There's just no way to win with entitlement mentality, ironically people that are shouting those slogans the loudest are the most racist.
And it's fashionable to show synergy and sympathy to foreign countries … remember all the Tri-colour overlay of photos on facebook after the terrorist acts in France but how many Union Jack overlays did you see after the terrorist acts here?

As for "Privilege" remember Laurence Fox on Question Time. He was referred to as a "privileged white male" which he claimed was a racist accusation and got shouted down for it. It is racist, it fits the definition, it is a general criticism based on race (it's also sexist) but don't expect the LL's to understand that.
Kai

Welp, tuned in to the carnage across the pond again. Hard to look away at the moment, it's very surreal, like watching a movie.

The narrative that they're building over there is ridiculous, and the martyr that they picked in George Floyd is an ex-con meth head that among other things robbed a pregnant woman by sticking a gun to her belly. Not really sure he deserves thousands of murals across the world :)

Meanwhile, a real hero like David Dorn is never even mentioned, his death was recorded and should be much more powerful, but his story doesn't fit the race war narrative so gets completely ignored by the likes of Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo, mainstream media like CNN are just intentionally adding fuel to the fire. Twitter deleting a powerful clip that Trump made has to be fail of the day, as strange as that sounds. They all want him gone so bad but wouldn't surprise me if he gets all the credit in the end.
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 am
As for "Privilege" remember Laurence Fox on Question Time. He was referred to as a "privileged white male" which he claimed was a racist accusation and got shouted down for it. It is racist, it fits the definition, it is a general criticism based on race (it's also sexist) but don't expect the LL's to understand that.
I agree that it was a racist statement that's overlooked because it's not as striking as it would be if it was applied to anyone of an ethnic minority.

What really shocked me about that particular programme was Shami Chakrabarti, sitting right next to Fox. She really had the hump about something that day and was quite snappy and grimed face all night. When Fox named his preferred candidate for the Labour leadership, I was astounded when she asked Fox why he doesn't prefer any of the "women" rather than "other" candidates!

Easy mistake to make, but she's the last woman, I mean person, I'd expect to get that wrong. :)
sa7med

Kai wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:14 am

The narrative that they're building over there is ridiculous, and the martyr that they picked in George Floyd is an ex-con meth head that among other things robbed a pregnant woman by sticking a gun to her belly. Not really sure he deserves thousands of murals across the world :)
Source? I can't find any reputable sources that make that claim (the pregnant gun thing). Only fake newsy type sources. In any case, what matters is not so much the man or what he did but rather what happened to him and what that symbolizes to people. His story is one that is often repeated in America and each time is a roll of the dice, or turn at the slots for a chance at a black swan. There's been plenty of George Floyds, but this time i suppose the time was ripe for this kind of reaction. Perhaps people have more time on their hands due to being unemployed, perhaps economic grievances are adding to the pressures. Who knows? There could be countless reasons why a dormant yet prevalent issue has been unleashed. So often in history a social movement is triggered by an individual's story. I am reminded of BouAzizi the Tunisian street vendor who's self immolation suddenly triggered the arab protests/revolutions. There were near identical stories before and even afterwards that you'd never hear about. George Floyd is a rallying cry for those that take those issues to heart and who are personally affected by them. He may not be the 'ideal' martyr, but in a sense that doesn't matter.

Which tweet are you talking about? Couldn't find it https://factba.se/topic/deleted-tweets
sa7med

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:37 am
firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 am
I agree that it was a racist statement that's overlooked because it's not as striking as it would be if it was applied to anyone of an ethnic minority.

What really shocked me about that particular programme was Shami Chakrabarti, sitting right next to Fox. She really had the hump about something that day and was quite snappy and grimed face all night. When Fox named his preferred candidate for the Labour leadership, I was astounded when she asked Fox why he doesn't prefer any of the "women" rather than "other" candidates!

Easy mistake to make, but she's the last woman, I mean person, I'd expect to get that wrong. :)

Where do you get your definition of 'racism'? The oxford dictionary has it as 'Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.' I don't think making general statements based on race/sex are necessarily racist or sexist. Consider the statement "White people are generally of a pale complexion" Is that racist? Why not? It's a general statement based on race. "Women generally have breasts" Is that sexist? If there is an empirical basis then is it racist? Businesses/Advertisers/Academics/Pollsters use demographics in this fashion all the time, are they being racist? I don't know for a fact if this is true or not, but if "white men" are empirically economically and socially "privileged" why would it be wrong to say so? If women earned double the amount that men did, would it be wrong to say so?

So what is racist/sexist then? Well I think it has to do with ascribing certain (usually negative) traits to races/sexes BECAUSE of their race/sex. That is to say someone is privileged simply BECAUSE they are white/with penis rather than a spectrum of (but not limited to): hard work, cunning, luck, social factors (which could be in and of themselves 'racist/sexist', and favor/disfavor one group over the other). That is to say, you could be in a state of privilege based on your gender or race because of racism/sexism inherent in society. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case, but what I am saying is that if it were the case, it wouldn't be racist to point it out.
Archery1969

If you want o know how bad things are with the Police in the USA then....

"Asheville Police surrounded a medic station created by protesters and stabbed water bottles with knives and tipped over tables of medical supplies. The medic team, made of EMTs and doctors said the medical station was approved by the city. The Police then sprayed the medical supplies and water bottles with gas so that anyone who used them would get chemical burns. Police said they took action to prevent protesters throwing bottles at them"
firlandsfarm

American police behave differently to ours, we should be thankful we have the British police.
Archery1969

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:14 am
American police behave differently to ours, we should be thankful we have the British police.
Well, i guess with an estimated 300 million guns in general circulation and explosives which can be bought over the counter with a driving license in some states then they are not prepared to take any chances when it comes to their personal safety. Water bottle or not.
Derek27

sa7med wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:13 am
Where do you get your definition of 'racism'?
There's a black guy, a white guy and a Chinese guy sitting at the other table, or there are three blokes sitting at the table. Overly focusing on somebody's ethnicity when it's not necessary can come across as mildly racist. I would regard racism as treating a particular group differently even if it's not negatively.
Kai

sa7med wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:15 am
Source? I can't find any reputable sources that make that claim (the pregnant gun thing).
That's my point, you can't find a source, not one from USA at least, it doesn't fit the narrative and nobody dares anyway.

You have to go as far as Daily Mail to have a brief look at all the facts objectively, which is all I wanted to do in the first place, they even published the armed robbery court records that people are talking about : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Texas.html
sa7med wrote:
His story is one that is often repeated in America and each time is a roll of the dice, or turn at the slots for a chance at a black swan. There's been plenty of George Floyds, but this time i suppose the time was ripe for this kind of reaction.
You would think that if you believed the narrative, but the stats paint a different picture : https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/

Is police brutality a thing? Sure, some terrible and racist cops everywhere on all sides. Are certain people milking it and bandwagoning? Without doubt. Are white supremacists lead by Donald Duck behind everything? LOL!
sa7med wrote:
Which tweet are you talking about? Couldn't find it https://factba.se/topic/deleted-tweets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RuRYH_GV2A

To be fair, Trump published this tribute clip to George Floyd on his Twitter but it got taken down for copyright bullshit, so apparently Twitter wants to get involved as well.
Atho55

If I looked across at the table and said "look at that white guy getting pissed" to my mates would that be deemed as racist, even though it`s used as a method of identification. Look at that bloke over there, who, that one wearing the jeans, black shoes, blue shirt, him with the white skin.
sa7med

Kai wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:47 pm
sa7med wrote:
Source? I can't find any reputable sources that make that claim (the pregnant gun thing).
That's my point, you can't find a source, not one from USA at least, it doesn't fit the narrative and nobody dares anyway.

You have to go as far as Daily Mail to have a brief look at all the facts objectively, which is all I wanted to do in the first place, they even published the armed robbery court records that people are talking about : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Texas.html
sa7med wrote:
His story is one that is often repeated in America and each time is a roll of the dice, or turn at the slots for a chance at a black swan. There's been plenty of George Floyds, but this time i suppose the time was ripe for this kind of reaction.
You would think that if you believed the narrative, but the stats paint a different picture : https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/
From the source you posted: "Additionally, the rate of fatal police shootings among Black Americans was much higher than that for any other ethnicity, standing at 30 fatal shootings per million of the population as of June 2020." Remember the USA is about 12% black and 72% white. So while twice as many white people in the US are killed by police gunfire, there are 6 times as many white people vs black people in the US. So the stats dont really paint a different picture. If my math is correct, you are 3 x more likely to be shot by police if you are black vs if you are white.

The daily mail article makes no mention of a pregnant woman, only of a woman. I don't really consider the daily mail to be a valid source as many benchmarks find it to be unreliable (it's not allowed as a source on wikipedia for example).

Return to “General discussion”