Aussie racing pics

The sport of kings.
Heisenberg

The dog of ry wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:25 am
So Betfair have got themselves either a fast feed to suspend Aus/NZ markets or a seat in the SKY studio with raw feeds. Time will tell if anybody else can get their hands on it?

Just wondering, what was the feed you guys were watching that was 'switched off'? trying to work out if they are using a sat or IP feed. Any info appreciated
It was a sat feed but there were at least 2 different operators distributing that feed via IP (with impressively low latency). It was only Sky 1, Sky 2 wasn't available.

The feed that Betfair have now is roughly comparable to the old fast fast feed, around 2 seconds latency. I highly doubt if anyone will ever be able to get their hands on it, Tabcorp/Sky are extremely protective of their vision. Anyone who wants a low latency feed isn't using it for betting with the TAB so it makes sense from a commercial perspective to restrict it. You'll get totally ignored if you ask about any low latency options. Maybe the huge rebate players are given access to the raw vision but then again, the huge rebate players probably aren't interested in picking up a few bucks in-play.

But to answer your question, BF are suspending from an IPTV source, not satellite (confirmed by my account manager who couldn't give further details citing 'commercial sensitivities').
The dog of ry

Heisenberg wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:23 am
The dog of ry wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:25 am
So Betfair have got themselves either a fast feed to suspend Aus/NZ markets or a seat in the SKY studio with raw feeds. Time will tell if anybody else can get their hands on it?

Just wondering, what was the feed you guys were watching that was 'switched off'? trying to work out if they are using a sat or IP feed. Any info appreciated
You'll get totally ignored if you ask about any low latency options.
Yeah the question was asked very early and stonewalled by Sky.. in fact they seemed angry anybody even knew about it. Thanks for the reply
Heisenberg

So after watching things pretty carefully over the weekend, nothing has changed now that the 'fast' feed is gone. Someone still has a feed with very little latency or it may be TAB themselves trading off their (essentially) real time feeds. It's going to kill in-play trading in Australia unless another half decent feed is found. Foxtel is over 5 seconds behind and even the vision in TAB outlets is over 4 seconds behind. Even the old AM radio is useless now as the price movements are now ahead of the call. Maybe it's time to head trackside again and sit on my ass for 6 hours to scrape together $100 😂 Even then I'm not totally confident I can beat whoever is at the sharp end of the market.
The dog of ry

Yeah I can still feel the person with a fast feed for sure.. They said it wouldn't be made avaliable to anybody, but wherever Fred Hastings calls Menangle/Newy from is obviously raw feed. Who's to say how many locations have it.. maybe the suspend monkey has found some new tricks.. Vic harness guys on track have that sewn up, although they didn't bother going to Maryborough yesterday
Heisenberg

Stupid question but does Hastings not call from on course? I ask because he and I have a mutual acquaintance, I can probably make some enquiries.
spreadbetting

Do you have the GPS trackers in Aus? I was offered the TPD feeds in the UK and they're supposed to be low latency.
Heisenberg

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:50 am
Do you have the GPS trackers in Aus? I was offered the TPD feeds in the UK and they're supposed to be low latency.
We do (mainly NSW meetings) but the data isn't available to the public as far as I understand, although I could be wrong. I couldn't place a lot of faith in it just yet, it's common for horses to fly from last to first in a second or so and horses even go totally missing. Needs a bit more refinement.

I read about someone getting burnt in a race somewhere in North America. The horse dumped the jockey just after the start, which seems fairly common over there, and the horse continued on and 'won' the race easily. The tracker was obviously in the saddle cloth or something and the punter was relying totally on the GPS images and lost a bundle.
Anbell

Heisenberg wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:41 am
spreadbetting wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:50 am
We do (mainly NSW meetings) but the data isn't available to the public as far as I understand, although I could be wrong. I couldn't place a lot of faith in it just yet, it's common for horses to fly from last to first in a second or so and horses even go totally missing. Needs a bit more refinement.

I read about someone getting burnt in a race somewhere in North America. The horse dumped the jockey just after the start, which seems fairly common over there, and the horse continued on and 'won' the race easily. The tracker was obviously in the saddle cloth or something and the punter was relying totally on the GPS images and lost a bundle.
Related: You can get the data showing how many horses have moved into the stalls (for some or all metro?) I think BF are looking to implement as well.
The dog of ry

Heisenberg wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:48 am
Stupid question but does Hastings not call from on course? I ask because he and I have a mutual acquaintance, I can probably make some enquiries.
No he was calling Menangle and Newy of a Saturday night from a studio. Most of the NSW races are the same I think, Anthony Manton sounds like he does all of his from a monitor. Same as NSW country harness... Often hear things in the call "such and such has disappeared out of view" etc
Lutruwita

This thread is very interesting.

I am solely an in-play trader. I found last week trickier than usual which I found odd. Still averaged about $5.80 gross a race.

I have found today impossible so far. Someone has the AM radio call well BEFORE I am getting it. Someone extreme will happen re the odds then the caller via AM will say 'X has galloped'.

I have no idea what I going on. It has thrown a spanner in the works, that's for sure.
Lutruwita

As an aside, the new caller in South Australia is hopeless. Mixes up the names of horses, will make it sound as if a horse is going to win and often doesn't etc. Easily the worst caller in the country from an in-play perspective.
Anbell

Aarondewit wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:14 am
As an aside, the new caller in South Australia is hopeless. Mixes up the names of horses, will make it sound as if a horse is going to win and often doesn't etc. Easily the worst caller in the country from an in-play perspective.
He'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than Col Hodges
Anbell

Aarondewit wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:08 am

I am solely an in-play trader. I found last week trickier than usual which I found odd. Still averaged about $5.80 gross a race.

I have found today impossible so far. Someone has the AM radio call well BEFORE I am getting it. Someone extreme will happen re the odds then the caller via AM will say 'X has galloped'.

I have no idea what I going on. It has thrown a spanner in the works, that's for sure.
What station are you listening to?
The dog of ry

Aarondewit wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:08 am

Two things with Victorian trots... there are pictures avaliable via a sat box which are a good couple of seconds ahead of Sky. I don't have them but know of someone who does. There are also on course guys down there, I've seen pics on Twitter of them using ladders to watch over the fence. I'm guessing they are the layers of gallopers
The dog of ry

Aarondewit wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:14 am
Or the best haha

Return to “Trading Horse racing”