Betfair Australia - In-play trading

Bobajob

Pelican 153 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:36 am
Well all I can say to that is what happened to me back in 2012 and since then I have noticed that some betting agencies in Australia have been fined for accepting bets in play so I would have thought they would be even more vigilant in ensuring it didn’t take place .
What is so 'wicked' about betting in-play in Australia ? :?
Pelican 153

Illegal under the interactive gambling act in Australia
Euler

Pelican 153 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:36 am
Well all I can say to that is what happened to me back in 2012 and since then I have noticed that some betting agencies in Australia have been fined for accepting bets in play so I would have thought they would be even more vigilant in ensuring it didn’t take place .
If you are betting on sports from inside Australia using just a VPN, i.e. you are actively avoiding local laws by faking your actually location. So I'd imagine that would be frowned on. But it's a complex and confusing piece of Aussie legislation.
Pelican 153

I have a legal background although it has been many years since I have practiced and with due respect it seems like the legislation is quite clear… if you are physically in Australia you are not permitted to bet on a sports event online once it goes in play . There are some exceptions relating to the various TABs and you can bet at the end of a days cricket or golf etc even though that event is ongoing
Euler

So why are you complaining about being unable to bet in-play in Australia?

The key part here is being located in Australia.
Pelican 153

Exactly
I am now physically in London and it will not allow me to log on to my Betfair Australian account
jamesedwards

Pelican 153 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:26 am
Exactly
I am now physically in London and it will not allow me to log on to my Betfair Australian account
You'll need to either use a VPN, or software that uses API like Bet Angel, or wait for Betfair to resolve. There is no other solution.
Thosefoxpeople

This is total speculation on my part, but I wonder if Betfair AU have been hit with a fine or an order from the NTRC and have been a bit blindsided by it.

All other Australian bookmakers (certainly all the majors) have geo blocking software and VPN detection and will stop you from logging in if you are using a VPN. Betfair in the past have generally ignored AU customers who use a VPN/VPS to circumvent in play restrictions, and according to a previous poster, actively encourage you in finding ways to circumvent the law. If I was a bookmaker I'd be suitably pissed that I was being forced to comply with a law that BF customers were openly flouting.

I speculate that they have cut VPS/VPN access while they assess their legal obligations. And I think it may well have been a competitor that dobbed them in.

Will remove my tinfoil hat now!
Pelican 153

Put the hat back on
That may well be the case
Pelican 153

Anbell
Have you heard anything further ?
bettingprogress

Question:

As an Australia, I want to do high volume inplay sports betting directly through the Betfair API.

If I connect to the API through a cloud server that's located in the UK, and if I only access the Betfair website through a VPN with a UK ip address, will this work out for me? Or will they kick me off?
Finbar147

Not true, Sportsbet has always worked with a UK VPN (though you can't watch live racing), Bet365 works with a NZ VPN (which I never knew till this thread), pretty sure that TAB works too though I'm banned from their promos so not used them for a while.

The fact I can bet with impunity with Bet365 is a constant source of embarrassment. Actually just tried and 365 not working with NZ VPN now, sure it did earlier in the week, maybe not.

Anyway I believe NZ VPN still working in Aus for Betfair exchange, legal or not, though it very much looks like they're doing all they can to tow the line now, sounds like NZ VPN will not last for long.
Thosefoxpeople wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:53 pm
This is total speculation on my part, but I wonder if Betfair AU have been hit with a fine or an order from the NTRC and have been a bit blindsided by it.

All other Australian bookmakers (certainly all the majors) have geo blocking software and VPN detection and will stop you from logging in if you are using a VPN. Betfair in the past have generally ignored AU customers who use a VPN/VPS to circumvent in play restrictions, and according to a previous poster, actively encourage you in finding ways to circumvent the law. If I was a bookmaker I'd be suitably pissed that I was being forced to comply with a law that BF customers were openly flouting.

I speculate that they have cut VPS/VPN access while they assess their legal obligations. And I think it may well have been a competitor that dobbed them in.

Will remove my tinfoil hat now!
Thosefoxpeople

Hmmmm Sportsbet have never (and I mean NEVER) let me use a VPN, and I'm one of their markers in a particular market so you'd hope that they would at least extend the courtesy that they appear to be giving others lol.
andy28

Is it legal for New Zealanders to bet in play?
Anbell

andy28 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:34 am
Is it legal for New Zealanders to bet in play?
I dont know. Try having a small bet on the website and you'll soon know!

Return to “Australian”