Betfair Australia - In-play trading

Kai

Pelican 153 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:56 pm
Up to now I have had to phone through my bets on individual games after they have gone in play . I often miss the price whilst I am waiting for someone to answer the phone give my details the market the bet amount etc
Even with all those obstacles I have been able to make a modest profit year on year .
Case in point then, as impressive as that sounds that's one helluva handicap there, the longest self-imposed "bet placement delay" one could imagine. Cannot realistically compare phoning in to one-click betting interfaces, with real-time data especially.

You wouldn't need to learn everything about the software either, can safely ignore 95% or more of it, just using the few basics could revolutionize your already proven edge. I get that technology can seem very intimidating and not sure how old you are when you say you feel like a dinosaur but I've seen people on here approaching their 80s and still using software etc.

There are enough resources and helpful hands around to bridge that gap no matter the age.
Pelican 153

I am 60 yrs old .
I guess my greatest fear is that I push the wrong button and watch my hard earned betting bank disappear in one click or that I end up backing something instead of laying it etc
Kai

Pelican 153 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:31 pm
I am 60 yrs old .
I guess my greatest fear is that I push the wrong button and watch my hard earned betting bank disappear in one click or that I end up backing something instead of laying it etc
Well the age there is a non-issue, 60 is basically the new 40.

But that's an understandable fear, that nearly everyone has initially. Turning on bet confirmation prompt comes to mind first.

There are definitely more things you can do to protect your bank, but I mainly use a different software (not GT) so can't advise on any more specifics. Plus there exposure limits on the Betfair website too if needed. There is a practice mode as well with a fake bank to trial strategies and get comfortable with the software.
The dog of ry

Pelican 153 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:31 pm
I am 60 yrs old .
Easy one... subscribe to something like NordVPN (there are plenty of other options).. open that program, click "Connect to NZ" then a few seconds later you will be able to use the Betfair home page to place bets inplay.
Pelican 153

In 2012 I got caught using a VPN ( something called Identity Cloaker ).
My account was suspended by Betfair and I subsequently received a phone called from them where l was advised that if I got caught again using a VPN my account would be permanently closed .
I have not even attempted to use a VPN since that time nor will I ever do so in the future .
Anbell

delete
Last edited by Anbell on Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anbell

Pelican 153 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:16 am
My account was suspended by Betfair and I subsequently received a phone called from them where l was advised that if I got caught again using a VPN my account would be permanently closed .
I have not even attempted to use a VPN since that time nor will I ever do so in the future .
That was a long time ago.

I have ongoing discussions with my Betfair VIP manager about which VPNs are best and for what reasons.
Pelican 153

I find that quite extraordinary and quite frankly annoying in that I have travelled to cold bleak expensive London whereas I could still be on my balcony in the Gold Coast .
Anbell

Pelican 153 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:17 am
I find that quite extraordinary and quite frankly annoying in that I have travelled to cold bleak expensive London whereas I could still be on my balcony in the Gold Coast .
You didnt travel to london to bet on betfair??
Euler

Pelican 153 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:16 am
That's the first time I've heard of that. VPN's and VPS's are in widespread use now.
Pelican 153

It wasn’t the sole reason but certainly it was a big reason yes .
I wanted to also travel to various European countries for leisure purposes so made sense to base myself here .
Pelican 153

Re Euler
I am in total shock by that comment and I mean total
Euler

Pelican 153 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:31 am
Re Euler
I am in total shock by that comment and I mean total
Technically speaking it is against terms, but terms are pretty vague. But as long as it's not abuse, I don't see they would have a problem.
Pelican 153

Well all I can say to that is what happened to me back in 2012 and since then I have noticed that some betting agencies in Australia have been fined for accepting bets in play so I would have thought they would be even more vigilant in ensuring it didn’t take place .
Anbell

There has been some suggestion that Flutter are trying to minimize VPN access as they position for a US IPO. (I dont know how serious this rumour is. I've also heard that access will hopefully be restored next week)

Return to “Australian”