Car insurance ripoff!

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
CaerMyrddin

Code: Select all

Hi Caermyrddin
Highest crash rate in the EU?...we're flying to Portugal on Sunday for a break...might leave the driving licence at home then!
regards
Peter
Well, you can't avoid using roads on a country, can you? Please make sure it's a personal choice to be droven by a local, instead of driving youself :D .

We had 482 deaths on the road since the start of the year, speeding is the national sport, but I think thing are getting better.

Please let me know if you need any kind of help when you are around. And enjoy the sunny weather, the great foods and wines!
Iron

It seems I was a bit harsh in my assessment Lloyds TSB's quote...

The following have all quoted me more than £500:

Go Compare
Confused.com
Money Supermarket
Direct Line
Tesco (Comprehensive insurance was a snip at just £777!)

Oh well, I'll keep persevering! :)

Jeff
Iron

PS When I told Lloyds that I was unemployed and pointed out that they had the wrong code for my minor speeding offense, my quote went up to £647!

Do they think unemployed people are reckless drivers?!?

That was based on 5,000 miles a year. When I told them I did 2,000 miles a year, it went up to £724! Bizarre!

Jeff
Ferru123 wrote:I received a letter from Lloyds TSB today telling me that it will cost me £460 if I want to renew my car insurance with them.

I considered this a bit pricey, given that:

A. I'm 35 years old.

B. I've been driving for over 12 years and have 7 years' no claims discount

C. I only have one driving conviction (3 points for speeding in 2007).

D. I drive a 1.3 litre R reg Ford Fiesta

E. I do about 2,000 miles a year

So I went on Go Compare, hoping that they might be able to make me a better offer. But the best the big moustached tenor could offer me was a quote for £468!

I was paying less in my twenties! Have car insurance prices rocketed in the past year or something?!?

Jeff
Iron

I've just checked whether, as a professional gambler, I could be regarded as self-employed for insurance purposes. I was told that, as I don't have any contracts to supply services, I would be deemed unemployed.

Are any of you full-time traders deemed self-employed by your insurance companies?

Jeff
Ferru123 wrote:PS When I told Lloyds that I was unemployed and pointed out that they had the wrong code for my minor speeding offense, my quote went up to £647!

Do they think unemployed people are reckless drivers?!?

Jeff
Iron

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... -high.html

The article says that:

'According to Fitch Ratings, the insurance industry pays out £123 in claims for every £100 in premiums collected. This is because of uninsured drivers, fraudulent claims and a steep rise in the number of whiplash claims by motorists enlisting the help of personal injury lawyers.'

Jeff
mickey

I'm with More th>n - pay £300 and something. Am 47 with an 07 vw passat.

Got a quote for our 17 year old daughter for a Corsa 1.1 worth £1k - quote was £3.2k :o :o for 3rd party fire and theft. Guess dhe won't be getting a car then!!
Iron

Wow!

Insurance prices really have rocketed!

I got my first car when I was 22 or 23 (I'm 35 now), less than a year after I'd passed my test.

I was driving a 1.7 Volvo, and my insurance was only something like £400 a year! Despite never having made a claim and only having ever lost 3 points on my license, I'm paying more now to insure my 1.3 litre Fiesta!

Jeff
mickey wrote:I'm with More th>n - pay £300 and something. Am 47 with an 07 vw passat.

Got a quote for our 17 year old daughter for a Corsa 1.1 worth £1k - quote was £3.2k :o :o for 3rd party fire and theft. Guess dhe won't be getting a car then!!
Iron

'Motor insurance premiums up by 30pc':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... -30pc.html

Jeff
Euler

Teenager quoted £33k for car insurance!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-12824940
LeTiss

Yeah, I saw that too

What these insurance companies seem to ignore though, is by quoting crazy amounts for teenagers encourages car crime. They are not going to force teenagers off the road, they are just giving them a green light to drive without insurance
CaerMyrddin

I wonder if you can buy an insurance in another EU country, due to the free services market?
kev

My daughter just passed her test today and have got some quotes for a Corsa, all coming in around £1500 for TPFT, or I could become the main driver and have her as named driver for £750 this year, then let her go it alone next year for £750, thus giving 2 years worth of insurance for the price of one.....
Iron

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... e_Swindle/

(Possibly available only in the UK)

Jeff
Iron

I'm not having much better luck this year!

The cheapest quote I've found so far for insuring my R Reg Fiesta is £400. The most expensive is over a grand! :lol:

I'm 36, I've been driving for 13 years, I have 8 years' no claims discount, and only 1 conviction (a minor speeding offence 4 years ago).

Incredible! :o

Jeff
CaerMyrddin

Maybe we should create our own insurance company? ;)

Return to “Chill Out Area”