Ukraine Crisis

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:52 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:34 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:10 am
For those that didn't know, the UK/US has a joint Ballistic Missile warning base located at RAF Fylindale in the UK.

Below is a short 5 minute film about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc5Woh3jPjc

PS. I wouldn't go sightseeing there as your more than likely to get shot. :lol:
I think I may have walked past that base when I walked the Cleveland Way. If it wasn't that one, it certainly had a lot of radar/satellite dishes.
It looks a very strange structure Derek.
It was back in the 80s so may be before that was built. I think that device in the picture uses microwaves to detect objects. Birds get cooked if they get too close!
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:56 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:52 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:34 pm

I think I may have walked past that base when I walked the Cleveland Way. If it wasn't that one, it certainly had a lot of radar/satellite dishes.
It looks a very strange structure Derek.
It was back in the 80s so may be before that was built. I think that device in the picture uses microwaves to detect objects. Birds get cooked if they get too close!
:o Surprised the RSPB haven't brought a legal case all the way to strasbourg :lol:
Archery1969

While visiting Ukraine the Greek PM came within 230 metres of being blown to bits in a missile strike.

Given Greece is a NATO country, that could have been interesting if the missile went slightly off course!!!

:o
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:32 pm
While visiting Ukraine the Greek PM came within 230 metres of being blown to bits in a missile strike.

Given Greece is a NATO country, that could have been interesting if the missile went slightly off course!!!

Zelenski was with it at the time. I thought they usually told the Russians when a state leader is going over to avoid escalation?
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:45 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:32 pm

Zelenski was with it at the time. I thought they usually told the Russians when a state leader is going over to avoid escalation?
Apparently they targeted a hanger used to build/store drones in Odessa. Zelensky and the Greek PM came very close to being no more. I don’t think the Russians cared who was visiting.
Derek27

Sweden become the 32nd NATO member.
greenmark

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:45 pm
Sweden become the 32nd NATO member.
Excellent. Good to have them on our side. How I wish Putin would relent from his right-wing agenda.
But that won't happen because he's a dictatorial megalomaniac.
Archery1969

Sky News - Friday 8th March 2024

French to build military equipment inside Ukraine, minister says France is planning to place some of its arms manufacturers on Ukrainian soil to produce much-needed military equipment for Kyiv, according to the defence minister.

"Three French companies will be setting up partnerships with Ukrainian companies, in particular in the drone and land equipment sectors, to produce spare parts on Ukrainian soil, and perhaps ammunition in the future," Sebastien Lecornu said.

The plan is to have the first production units up and running by the summer.

He hinted the companies involved would include tank manufacturer KNDS.
Archery1969

The US says it is “monitoring reports that extremists have imminent plans to target large gatherings in Moscow, to include concerts, and U.S. citizens should be advised to avoid large gatherings over the next 48 hours.”

We also advise British nationals against all travel to Russia.
conduirez

Breakneck Mountain, coming to a war near you next year.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:02 am

French to build military equipment inside Ukraine, minister says France is planning to place some of its arms manufacturers on Ukrainian soil to produce much-needed military equipment for Kyiv, according to the defence minister.

"Three French companies will be setting up partnerships with Ukrainian companies, in particular in the drone and land equipment sectors, to produce spare parts on Ukrainian soil, and perhaps ammunition in the future," Sebastien Lecornu said.

And why not? Putin wants to keep Ukraine independent. Well there you go, they have the right to trade with anyone and invite investment in essential industries. It's still not NATO boots on the ground. Feel sorry for any guys/gals that need to go and commision those facilities. Might as well wear a target on your back.
Archery1969

:cry:
greenmark wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:33 am
Archery1969 wrote:

And why not? Putin wants to keep Ukraine independent. Well there you go, they have the right to trade with anyone and invite investment in essential industries. It's still not NATO boots on the ground. Feel sorry for any guys/gals that need to go and commision those facilities. Might as well wear a target on your back.
Agreed,

Rather more worrying is that Macron has said that NATO may have to go in and save Ukraine.

That could end up being a bloodbath.

🤔
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:48 am
:cry:
greenmark wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:33 am
Archery1969 wrote:

Agreed,

Rather more worrying is that Macron has said that NATO may have to go in and save Ukraine.

That could end up being a bloodbath.

🤔
Perhaps that is just posturing. NATO wouldn't dream of doing that, but get Macron to suggest it just adds an element of doubt in Putin's deranged mind.
conduirez

As a trader I would advise Zelensky to give up the lost provinces now, and look for peace.

There will be no more US weapons next year, if Trump gets in. I also expect Starmer would, quickly follow Trumps lead as well.

Even if Trump does not get in, Biden is going to struggle to continue to supply arms to Ukraine.

Macron is postering, and offering too little too late, Putin will call his bluff every time.

The smart play for the Ukraine is to accept the losses and move on, and try to get some deal with NATO for the rest of the country (even a demilitarised zone under the NATO wrapper), during the negotiations with Russia. That's the biggest win option they have now.
Archery1969

conduirez wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:06 pm
As a trader I would advise Zelensky to give up the lost provinces now, and look for peace.

There will be no more US weapons next year, if Trump gets in. I also expect Starmer would, quickly follow Trumps lead as well.

Even if Trump does not get in, Biden is going to struggle to continue to supply arms to Ukraine.

Macron is postering, and offering too little too late, Putin will call his bluff every time.

The smart play for the Ukraine is to accept the losses and move on, and try to get some deal with NATO for the rest of the country (even a demilitarised zone under the NATO wrapper), during the negotiations with Russia. That's the biggest win option they have now.
The US President can. if needed, sign an executive order, ordering $65 billion of funds be released tomorrow.

But he has chosen not too.

I therefore believe the west and NATO haven given up on/with Ukraine. Basically, we don’t have the stomach for it.

I guess that’s fair enough. But I really hope the UK never gets invaded and/or bombed. From what I have seen, I doubt anyone or its population would come running to defend it.

The UK has created a bunch of pathetic individuals which would be crying to their mummies, if we ever went to war.

Very glad in 5 weeks I will be out of a country I once served and called home.

Return to “Chill Out Area”