Next Prime Minister / Tory Party Leader

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
sionascaig

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:24 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:47 pm
She's a true reincarnation of Thatcher, but she won't last long. It's just a question of how far down the shithole she takes the country.
I think, even with the new rule changes, she cant be challenged/ousted in her first year. Unless ofcourse the government lost a vote of no condifence. i.e. the Conservative party brings itself down just to get rid of her for the sack of the country.
Spooky, Rory Stewart also suggesting she wont last long and Boris may be back before the next general election.

Looking forward to seeing his odds in the "next PM" market when this one closes. How many times can one go through the looking glass?
Archery1969

sionascaig wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:54 am
Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:24 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:47 pm
She's a true reincarnation of Thatcher, but she won't last long. It's just a question of how far down the shithole she takes the country.
I think, even with the new rule changes, she cant be challenged/ousted in her first year. Unless ofcourse the government lost a vote of no condifence. i.e. the Conservative party brings itself down just to get rid of her for the sack of the country.
Spooky, Rory Stewart also suggesting she wont last long and Boris may be back before the next general election.

Looking forward to seeing his odds in the "next PM" market when this one closes. How many times can one go through the looking glass?
The Tory membership saw nothing wrong in what Boris did and want him back as PM. That’s why they would never vote for Sunak as he is deemed as a back stabbing traitor.

Truss only option is to say to MPs, back me or I will call a general election, which they would lose.

The country will drift into chaos and disaster very quickly.
Derek27

Sky still keeps repeating their programme about Johnson's downfall, and I still don't tire of hearing it. :D
greenmark

I can't wait for Laura Kuenssberg to get her teeth into the shambolic democratic reps we have. I hope she is as ruthless and even-handed as Marr. Big shoes to fill.
9am Sept 4th.
Derek27

Liz Truss has bottled out of a TV interview. Probably the smartest thing she's done in the campaign. She needs to keep her mouth firmly shut until the votes are in. :)
Archery1969

When questioned by the BBC, Boris refuses to rule out a political comeback.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:42 pm
The words snowball and hell spring to mind.
Derek27

greenmark wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:21 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Once the disaster of Truss is over he could well run again. The party will be queuing up to vote him in....as leader of the opposition. :D
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:45 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:21 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Once the disaster of Truss is over he could well run again. The party will be queuing up to vote him in....as leader of the opposition. :D
:lol:
Archery1969

If Truss wins, Boris to be given a job in Cabinet, Government or as Ambasddor to Ukraine.

That could be one reason why she so far ahead in certain polls which are supposed to reflect the mood in the Tory membership.

For those that don't know, very often the membership is totally out of sync with MP's and the overall mood of the country.
Derek27

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:18 pm
If Truss wins, Boris to be given a job in Cabinet, Government or as Ambasddor to Ukraine.

That could be one reason why she so far ahead in certain polls which are supposed to reflect the mood in the Tory membership.

For those that don't know, very often the membership is totally out of sync with MP's and the overall mood of the country.
I don't know if Labour has the same selection rules but it sounds quite daft to me to give party members a vote. It's the MPs that have to work or put up with the new leader.
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:22 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

I don't know if Labour has the same selection rules but it sounds quite daft to me to give party members a vote. It's the MPs that have to work or put up with the new leader.
Labour:

Unlike the Conservative Party, there is no formal role for a vote of no confidence as part of the process of a leadership challenge. Although the Parliamentary Labour Party held a no confidence vote in the leader in 2016, Jeremy Corbyn refused to resign and argued that his support among party members outweighed his lack of support from Labour MPs.

Its actually worse in Labour because of the trade union vote. They basically chose Ed over his brother Dave. The later, i would have voted for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:27 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Archery1969 wrote:

Labour:

Unlike the Conservative Party, there is no formal role for a vote of no confidence as part of the process of a leadership challenge. Although the Parliamentary Labour Party held a no confidence vote in the leader in 2016, Jeremy Corbyn refused to resign and argued that his support among party members outweighed his lack of support from Labour MPs.

Its actually worse in Labour because of the trade union vote. They basically chose Ed over his brother Dave. The later, i would have voted for.
Yeah, has always niggled me that "one man one vote" got distorted into one union rep =1000's of votes. I'm left of centre but the concept of some lofty twit having sway over my allegiance on any subject is hard to take. Democracy is hard work, I admire you for getting stuck in at the base level. Albeit for the wine and nibbles (joke, of course :-)).
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:15 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

Labour:

Yeah, has always niggled me that "one man one vote" got distorted into one union rep =1000's of votes. I'm left of centre but the concept of some lofty twit having sway over my allegiance on any subject is hard to take. Democracy is hard work, I admire you for getting stuck in at the base level. Albeit for the wine and nibbles (joke, of course :-)).
Nibbles, they were the biggest chicken dippers i ever seen. :) Good job my Beagle wasn't there, she would have scoffed the lot. :)
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:35 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:15 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

Labour:

Nibbles, they were the biggest chicken dippers i ever seen. :) Good job my Beagle wasn't there, she would have scoffed the lot. :)
Ah Beagle's. One of my favourite pooches. Along with Border Collies, Cocker Spaniels and Labradors. My Sis had a Weimaraner that was handsome but very wilful. More like a human than a pooch. Commanding him would likely get a response like "you talkin' to me?".
Anyhow, sorry to have dragged the thread away from Tory Leaders to favourite dogs.

Return to “Political betting & arguing”