Why You Will Never Make A Profit On Automation Alone

A place to discuss anything.
hecojef928

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:33 pm
What exactly is the point in sitting trackside if you're using automation to trigger trades? Does your automation have a pair of eyes?
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:55 pm
You have to admire the title of the thread. Even people who didn't read it will know exactly what it's about. :D
Seriously though Derek, we've all got those magical automated trading binoculars with BA pre-installed. They're like having an extra set of eyes powered by AI. I just toss mine up a tree near the course and let them handle the heavy lifting. I sit in my dressing gown all day, casually hitting the refresh button on the P&L screen. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LinusP

Fugazi wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:11 pm
Old post, but it has got me thinking.

Some of what OP says makes a lot of sense to me.

If I am analysing data and find something I think I can take advantage of. Surely someone with a team of professionals, smarter than me, have:
- more computer power
- analyse more data than me
- analyse in greater depth
- Analyse more more frequently. Pretty much to the point they are updating the data continuously in real time?

I am currently running a profitable automation, but that logic above seems sound to me and feels like I shouldn't be making any profit?
You have sort of answered your own question, the teams (syndicates) have costs, sometimes very very high costs that need to be met. They are not interested in areas where they can’t scale to x or requires manual / constant updates or iteration etc.

Worst of all is that many believe they are better than the market and using a simple strategy is simply below them.
Euler

The most surprising, revealing and at times perplexing insights I've had in my trading career have centred around just how people can be so wrong.

Not just things like this OP, but there was that classic martingale thread where it ended with the OP saying something along the lines of 'I hear what you are all saying, but I'm going to give it a try'

It's amazing. it's completely changed the way I approach the markets and opened up so many doors for me.

As I often say, positive people find opportunities, negative ones problems. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find opportunties.
conduirez

A wise man. Charlie Munger, who sadly passed away last year, just over a month before his 100th Birthday once summed it all up in one sentence.

“It is remarkable how much long term advantage people like us have gotten by trying to be consistently not stupid, instead of trying to be very intelligent.”
Anbell

Martingale threads are always lovely.
foxwood

Anbell wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:55 am
Yeah all very well but they double in size every day ;)

Funny this thread wakes up again - was the OP's one and only post
Anbell

foxwood wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 am
Anbell wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:55 am
Yeah all very well but they double in size every day ;)

Funny this thread wakes up again - was the OP's one and only post
Ha! I hadnt noticed that it was their only post.

To be fair, there were some reasonable ideas in the post. If it had been framed as "I presume that all markets are probably mostly efficient for these 10 reasons. Am I wrong in all cases? All the time?" then it might have been more fruitful.
hecojef928

Euler wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:36 pm
The most surprising, revealing and at times perplexing insights I've had in my trading career have centred around just how people can be so wrong.

Not just things like this OP, but there was that classic martingale thread where it ended with the OP saying something along the lines of 'I hear what you are all saying, but I'm going to give it a try'

It's amazing. it's completely changed the way I approach the markets and opened up so many doors for me.

As I often say, positive people find opportunities, negative ones problems. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find opportunties.
Dealing with negativity from family and friends about my interest in trading and betting has been tough. Some friendships have even faded because of it. Their response is often filled with negativity, labeling it as impossible, gambling, or a waste of time. Their lack of understanding can be discouraging, but it hasn't stopped me pushing forward.

I'm determined to pursue what I enjoy doing, regardless of their doubts. Instead of letting their skepticism hold me back, I'm using it as motivation to show them what's possible. It's not been easy over the years, but I'm committed to pushing forward, learning, and doing my best, despite the doubts around me.
Fugazi

hecojef928 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:39 am
Euler wrote:

Dealing with negativity from family and friends about my interest in trading and betting has been tough. Some friendships have even faded because of it. Their response is often filled with negativity, labeling it as impossible, gambling, or a waste of time. Their lack of understanding can be discouraging, but it hasn't stopped me pushing forward.

I'm determined to pursue what I enjoy doing, regardless of their doubts. Instead of letting their skepticism hold me back, I'm using it as motivation to show them what's possible. It's not been easy over the years, but I'm committed to pushing forward, learning, and doing my best, despite the doubts around me.
Why bother telling them?

I don't bother except a few close friends. Not worth the hassle.
hecojef928

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:42 am
hecojef928 wrote:
Euler wrote:

Why bother telling them?

I've never been one to hide what I'm up to. In the past, I was quite open about my goals and aspirations. However, as time has passed, I've become more hidden. They're aware of my involvement with computers, so I tend to stick to discussing that aspect and avoid bringing up trading or betting anymore.
Fugazi

hecojef928 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:49 am
Fugazi wrote:
hecojef928 wrote:

Why bother telling them?

I've never been one to hide what I'm up to. In the past, I was quite open about my goals and aspirations. However, as time has passed, I've become more hidden. They're aware of my involvement with computers, so I tend to stick to discussing that aspect and avoid bringing up trading or betting anymore.
I agree its tricky, don't want to hide it thats what a gambler does.

But equally just wouldn't go out of my way I just find the conversation a waste of time.

Easy for me though, still work fulltime, no reason to have to explain to anyone i make some money on the side trading
Bobajob

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:43 pm
hecojef928 wrote:
Fugazi wrote:

Why bother telling them?

But equally just wouldn't go out of my way I just find the conversation a waste of time.

Easy for me though, still work fulltime, no reason to have to explain to anyone i make some money on the side trading
Are you a Marillion fan by any chance ?
Fugazi

Bobajob wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:00 pm
Fugazi wrote:
hecojef928 wrote:

Afraid not, I assume I have inadvertently quoted their lyrics or something hah
Bobajob

Fugazi wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:30 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Fugazi wrote:

It must be this then
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bobajob on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fugazi

Bobajob wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm
Fugazi wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:30 pm
Bobajob wrote:

It must be this then
Thought you had made that image of me at first!

My username shall forever be a mystery.

Return to “General discussion”