Gambling Review White Paper update

A place to discuss anything.
jamesedwards

Capture6.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:00 pm
I said "British politicians are arseholes", I took a party neutral line to begin with.
Really, so ...
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:22 am
When Steven Crapp became Secretary of State for Work & Pensions, somebody vandalised his office and sprayed "Why do you hate the sick and disabled". :D

I don't condone that, but what was shocking was his response, that ESA is not for sick people but people required to look for work. Thus, it was clear that he didn't know the difference between ESA and JSA and was voting to cut benefits for sick people without even knowing it.

It was the same when his predecessor Iain Duncan Smith gave a speech at Tory conferences. People like myself who were on benefit and kept up to date with the proposed legislation knew he was lying through his teeth about what he was putting through but the Tories at the conference were completely clueless and trusted what he said. Europe at least had laws to protect the vulnerable.
... was "party neutral" ... good to know.
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:05 am
Derek27 wrote:
I said "British politicians are arseholes", I took a party neutral line to begin with.
Really, so ...
Derek27 wrote:
When Steven Crapp became Secretary of State for Work & Pensions, somebody vandalised his office and sprayed "Why do you hate the sick and disabled". :D

I don't condone that, but what was shocking was his response, that ESA is not for sick people but people required to look for work. Thus, it was clear that he didn't know the difference between ESA and JSA and was voting to cut benefits for sick people without even knowing it.

It was the same when his predecessor Iain Duncan Smith gave a speech at Tory conferences. People like myself who were on benefit and kept up to date with the proposed legislation knew he was lying through his teeth about what he was putting through but the Tories at the conference were completely clueless and trusted what he said. Europe at least had laws to protect the vulnerable.
In case you didn't know, the Tories have been in power for 13 years and it's what government ministers say that make the news, so there are no recent Labour examples.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:57 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:05 am
Derek27 wrote:
Really, so ...
Derek27 wrote:

In case you didn't know, the Tories have been in power for 13 years and it's what government ministers say that make the news, so there are no recent Labour examples.
But it's tantamount to lying when you claim your comment was party neutral when it only criticised one party. Yet another example of trying to have a sensible debate with you is very very hard work ... work I am no longer prepared to to put in.
Michael5482

The Government's response to the Gambling Checks Petition is below:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... -threshold

Nothing of note in their other than it estimates a 6-11% (£8.4-£14.9 million) drop in racing revenue per year due to financial checks and are currently "refining" this.

I suppose we just need to see what the response was the the Gambling Commissions consultation however I've got no confidence in them, there out of control and need reigning in.
Michael5482

A bit more info in The Racing Post

https://www.racingpost.com/news/gamblin ... 7y5o0sOBc/

Reading between the lines looks like affordability checks at the lower level are straight forward via a credit checking agency but the higher ones will involve issues around data sharing and GDPR and I'll assume that the data needed to conduct the checks won't be publicly available like the lower level checks so it's difficult for them to be "frictionless" like we've been told from day one.
LeTiss

They recognise problems that have arisen, but have no plans to rectify them yet then
Emmson

The petition has ran out of steam
Naffman

Emmson wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:17 pm
The petition has ran out of steam
Will just about get there, whether anything will happen remains to be seen but just proves outside of the industry no-one is really that bothered about racing.
Euler

It's almost at the magical 100,000 mark

Just a few more to go to force a 'debate'
Euler

Currently the eighth most petitioned item
firlandsfarm

I had a thought a few days ago re this. Some of you may recall that a few years ago I raised the question of trading getting hauled into the tax net. The tax exemption for betting was based on the stats that most people lose so past Governments didn't seek to tax betting profits for the fear that the quid-pro-quo would require them to allow losses to be offset. I said at the time that trading has changed the market and why should trading bets be exempt while trading shares is taxable. And it's even more unacceptable if trading shares by spread-betting!

Anyway my point for raising this, simply as an advisory, I have no reason to expect a change but ... the statistics likely to be needed for bookmakers and exchanges to 'police' the white paper issues would also give HMRC the ability to look for a way to tax Traders on their profits!
weemac

If I were HMRC I'd want to get my hands on the cash that currently goes to BF in the form of PC.
jamesedwards

Finally got there
Capture24.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesedwards

weemac wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:43 pm
If I were HMRC I'd want to get my hands on the cash that currently goes to BF in the form of PC.
They already get 25% of it.

Return to “General discussion”