Greyhound information in database format

We've gone to the dogs.
sIGNAL

Ive been searching for this kind of data myself and decided to go down the python route and get what i need. So, after 3 days of swearing at chatgbt ive finally got my new python script to deliver for me.

I now have a script that is running in 5 parts to give me this excel spreadsheet with all of the data i wanted. its still in its raw format and over the coming weeks i will get this formatted into a nice clear interface and next step is I also have to intergrate my caluclation/formula that i use for picking my selections for every race. once i get that part merged then i will end up with a final sheet daily of what dogs to trade.

Its been a mission to get to this stage but least i can chill abit now as i have the bulk of the data i need being scraped just fine. Its taking about 10 mins in total to run through all the processes to grab and sort all the data into this excel sheet.

For anyone that hasnt got experience with doing something like this should give it a go. you do need lots of patience and this has taken me 3 days to get to this part, but i had zero python knowledge on sunday, it probably could of been done quicker and easier perhaps, but as this was my 1st attempt I think I have not done to bad. Ive learnt tonnes from doing this myself so it's been worthwhile so anyone thinking about it just have a crack at it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael5482

sIGNAL wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:39 pm
Ive been searching for this kind of data myself and decided to go down the python route and get what i need. So, after 3 days of swearing at chatgbt ive finally got my new python script to deliver for me.

I now have a script that is running in 5 parts to give me this excel spreadsheet with all of the data i wanted. its still in its raw format and over the coming weeks i will get this formatted into a nice clear interface and next step is I also have to intergrate my caluclation/formula that i use for picking my selections for every race. once i get that part merged then i will end up with a final sheet daily of what dogs to trade.

Its been a mission to get to this stage but least i can chill abit now as i have the bulk of the data i need being scraped just fine. Its taking about 10 mins in total to run through all the processes to grab and sort all the data into this excel sheet.

For anyone that hasnt got experience with doing something like this should give it a go. you do need lots of patience and this has taken me 3 days to get to this part, but i had zero python knowledge on sunday, it probably could of been done quicker and easier perhaps, but as this was my 1st attempt I think I have not done to bad. Ive learnt tonnes from doing this myself so it's been worthwhile so anyone thinking about it just have a crack at it.
Great work Signal, well done. Always rewarding when you crack something and the best way to learn is rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck in.
sIGNAL

Michael5482 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:07 pm
sIGNAL wrote:

Great work Signal, well done. Always rewarding when you crack something and the best way to learn is rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck in.
Thank you Michael 👍
If anyone wants to have a go, chatgbt is your friend, it's written all the code for me to do this.
You just need to feed it with the logical steps and process of what you want done.

I will say though, that if anyone does try this, at the initial stages when your choosing which data fields you want to grab then get everything that's worthwhile as you can filter out what you actually want later.

Reason I say this is yesterday I actually had a final spreadsheet BUT I was missing 2 key data fileds and I've spent all day today having to back track through the steps to alter the code to grab these fields at an earlier stage because due to the process involved it had to be done near the start. It's been a right ball ache but I know for next time, just grab it all then filter and sort at the end.
sniffer66

sIGNAL wrote:

Nice work. I went through the same process about a year ago, capturing data from the RP API. Same learning experience, but without AI to help me. Very rewarding when you finally crack it

I ended up capturing about 6 months worth of daily race cards then used those with the BF results data to analyse what effect each of the historical stats had on performance. Again, an interesting exercise
sIGNAL

sniffer66 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:13 pm
sIGNAL wrote:

Nice work. I went through the same process about a year ago, capturing data from the RP API. Same learning experience, but without AI to help me. Very rewarding when you finally crack it

I ended up capturing about 6 months worth of daily race cards then used those with the BF results data to analyse what effect each of the historical stats had on performance. Again, an interesting exercise
That's interesting about the data you caught and back testing etc. I've been thinking about adding a results database next which I can use for back testing formulas and ideas.

I've got a formula I use at the moment but I'm having to manually key in the data into my calculation sheet for every race which is too much hard work, hence I decided I need to grab all the data. Tomorrow I will attempt to get my formula working with the grabbed data then I can go from there.

I do have abit of html coding knowledge, but no way near enough knowledge to of built something like this without AI. Great project though and the possibilities seem endless now I've got started, but the back testing seems like a golden opportunity to find some new angles.

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”