Why would my account have been closed?

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
ija34

I was literally just logged in to Betfair, I noticed my phone number was wrong so changed it and said it was updated, clicked on betting P&L, clicked last 3 months and nothing came up so I refreshed, it logged me out and when I tried logging in it said my account had been closed :| I've contacted them on chat and they said they will raise it with the relevant team and be in touch by email. Why would they have closed my account? I've been doing practice trading for past week or so but not on many markets. I've done far more in a shorter period in the past and not had any issues.
Euler

If you amend your address details or phone number it will check that against it's database automatically. If it matches information on another account it suspends your account.

That may be the cause.
ija34

Euler wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:07 pm
If you amend your address details or phone number it will check that against it's database automatically. If it matches information on another account it suspends your account.

That may be the cause.
It says it's been closed. So can they reopen it? It was my old number so just thought I would change it whilst I was there :|
Derek27

ija34 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:46 pm
Euler wrote:

That may be the cause.
It says it's been closed. So can they reopen it? It was my old number so just thought I would change it whilst I was there :|
Mine was closed a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure they'll reopen your account when they realise the error. But don't expect an email from them. Give it a day or two and then contact them again through chat, before the weekend and tell them you haven't received the email, if that's the case. Ask Bumfair the same question three times and you get three different answers so it's always worth trying another agent. :)
ija34

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:14 pm
ija34 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:46 pm
Euler wrote:

That may be the cause.
Mine was closed a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure they'll reopen your account when they realise the error. But don't expect an email from them. Give it a day or two and then contact them again through chat, before the weekend and tell them you haven't received the email, if that's the case. Ask Bumfair the same question three times and you get three different answers so it's always worth trying another agent. :)
I had a funny feeling they wouldn't contact me tbh but we will see. If not, I'll contact them at end of week like you said. Not actively trading at the moment as I'm focusing on studying so at least it's not a set back as long as they open it within the next few weeks.
Euler

They wont contact you, you need to contact them.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:14 pm
when they realise the error.
I think it's policy rather than error..... But in this day and age you'd expect something slicker like validation PINs allocated to you when you pass your ID checks. Or a big red banner on the screen warning you, or warning a hacker, about it. Even just saying you have to contact them to change it and do the whole grandma's maiden name stuff. Could be sorted before lunch.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:56 pm
ould be sorted before lunch.
It shouldn't take that long. :) On Microsoft forms there's only a checkbox to tick to lock a field to make it uneditable. They told me I'm not allowed to change my email address but I can still edit the field. :roll:
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:40 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Could be sorted before lunch.
It shouldn't take that long. :) On Microsoft forms there's only a checkbox to tick to lock a field to make it uneditable. They told me I'm not allowed to change my email address but I can still edit the field. :roll:
Some testing
Implementation across several servers
Sys tech documentation update
Support notes update
Dev proj mngr updating the weekly spend
Fag break

....I'd budget a day.

I once used a 'formal' development methodolgy to budget making a cup of coffee....came out at a day. Nothing is shorter than a day in officeland. :D
ija34

Derek27 wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
Is that why you got kicked editing details like I did?
ShaunWhite

Has anyone actually raised this as an issue aside from a personal account reactivation issue? Because there's a subtle difference. It's clearly a bug but support aren't relaying that back to the systems team, they're just reactivating accounts and closing the call. They should obv but aren't. Do we know they know about it outside of the call centre ? If so what was the response?
Derek27

ija34 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:00 am
Derek27 wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
Is that why you got kicked editing details like I did?
With me it was my password manager changing my email address inadvertently. But Peter said he changed his address and had his account blocked.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:22 am
Has anyone actually raised this as an issue aside from a personal account reactivation issue? Because there's a subtle difference. It's clearly a bug but support aren't relaying that back to the systems team, they're just reactivating accounts and closing the call. They should obv but aren't. Do we know they know about it outside of the call centre ? If so what was the response?
We do know that Bumfair don't want to know and couldn't care any less how the monkeys in the chat office are running the show. The only official way for most people to contact them is through the monkeys, and all they can do is tell you you'll be contacted by email.

ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:52 am
We do know that Bumfair don't want to know
Fair enough, your problem not mine so I'll butt out.
ija34

Contacted them again. They just said they've escalated it again so guess I will contact them tomorrow :lol:

Return to “Betfair exchange”