2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup

T20, IPL, Test matches or the Ashes, discuss it here.
Emmson

FLIPPPAGE!

with all 10 wickets intact
Emmson

Afghans are winning this game, a spunk filled effort indeed. 61 off 59 with 8 wickets remaining

Wheels can still come off but they will still win.

This is Chennai WOW!
Emmson

As far as giving us COMPETITIVE games this World Cup has been a major disappointment so far, another unstoppable train today.
conduirez

With the way some of the results are going, in this world cup, I am always reminded of a famous South African cricketer Hansie Cronje, in the 1990's,

I am not saying any of these world cup matches have not been totally played in the full spirit of the game, but some of the results have been spectacular.

There was a guy called Sanjeev Chawla who represented a large Indian betting syndicate, who spoke with Cronje the South African captain and other South African cricketers at the time about fixing matches. After this was eventually found out and after the following enquiry Cronje was banned from cricket for life.

I know of one match that was fixed, because Nasser Hussain who I hasten to add knew nothing about the fixing and was totally innocent, mentioned it once on TV, It was the last day of a test match against England where the game was heading for a draw, and Cronje approached Nasser Hussain the England captain and said 'lets make a game of this, and declared leaving England 249 runs to win the game, which England did get. The reason it transpired for the fixing, was the bookies had taken so much money on the draw and they wanted to keep it, plus have a little bit on England to win.

Here's the article
https://www.gambling.com/uk/news/the-ha ... ry-2241300
megarain

I played backgammon with Marlon Aronstam who was the alledged bookie who contacted Hansie.

We knew there might be a shortened test match.

In the event, I was at the game and got a text from
Marlon 1 hr before the declaration.

The only bookie open was Stan James in Gibraltar, and they
had no market on the test which was effectively dead.

So, we never got the huge prices etc, but that wasn’t
the reason it was done anyway.

Fixed is the wrong term for the test match you are referring
to. All 4 results were v possible in one of the most
exciting afternoons cricket I have ever watched.
conduirez

megarain wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:11 am
I played backgammon with Marlon Aronstam who was the alledged bookie who contacted Hansie.

We knew there might be a shortened test match.

In the event, I was at the game and got a text from
Marlon 1 hr before the declaration.

The only bookie open was Stan James in Gibraltar, and they
had no market on the test which was effectively dead.

So, we never got the huge prices etc, but that wasn’t
the reason it was done anyway.

Fixed is the wrong term for the test match you are referring
to. All 4 results were v possible in one of the most
exciting afternoons cricket I have ever watched.
It has been widely reported Cronje received 50,000 Rand after the game, and the main focus was to try and stop the draw, I do not think Mr Aronstam or others really cared who won. But hey if that's not match fixing who am I to argue.
megarain

Hansie never got the money. (which was 2.5k GBP).

He did get a leather jacket from another backgammon player, who made them, for his wife.

Marlon had large personal liabilities on the draw, and his newly listed bookmaking company also had massive liabilities.

Anyway, the King commission cleared Marlon. The transcript of this and a podcast made by Radio 5live sport are fascinating if u into the saga.
conduirez

megarain wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:38 pm
Hansie never got the money. (which was 2.5k GBP).

He did get a leather jacket from another backgammon player, who made them, for his wife.

Marlon had large personal liabilities on the draw, and his newly listed bookmaking company also had massive liabilities.

Anyway, the King commission cleared Marlon. The transcript of this and a podcast made by Radio 5live sport are fascinating if u into the saga.
There was more than just a jacket, respectable journalist are saying there was money handed over as well, see attached article.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cri ... 26201.html

The thing is people had placed large amounts of money on the draw, if I was one of them I would have been pretty pissed, to say the least.
Tiesto13

England currently 2.06 to win the toss, have been matched as high as 2.12.

Feels like a thought experiment come to life!
Emmson

This Eng batting performance v Sri Lanka beggars belief, what the f*ck has happened to this side.
Emmson

156 ALL OUT v Sri Lanka who are themselves poor.

Shameful and Disgraceful!
conduirez

Great game South Africa verses Pakistan, brilliant exciting cricket.

I thought the Pakistan bowlers were brilliant at the end could have gone either way, but they just ran out of pace attack bowler overs, and had to revert back to spinners.

Plus I made a few bob, which made it more exciting, I am well happy.
Tiesto13

Real shame that England have already screwed up this tournament. Otherwise this could have ended up being a really exciting game.
Emmson

Fakhar Zaman is a Big Time Charlie (I remember Champions Trophy Final)

Fakhar's at it again today, punishing the Kiwi's
Emmson

In the end another contemptible performance by England. :evil:

Wastrels!

Return to “Betfair Cricket trading”