Israel/Palestine conflict

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
Archangel

Lest we forget
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

Archangel wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:41 am
Lest we forget
Let's not forget who started the war. :)
Archery1969

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:26 pm
Archangel wrote:
Lest we forget
The Arab Liberation Army in 1948.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:45 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Archangel wrote:
Lest we forget
I wonder what the end-game of this war will be.
It seems like Israel have decided that ethnic cleansing of Gaza right now is the logical solution to a constant threat that turned into one the biggest terror attacks the world has seen (so far).
The West Bank admin sits there watching people they are very close to being displaced/killed.

We seems a long, long way from any kind peaceful accord. Tragic stuff.
Archangel

Ethnic cleaning/genocide while the world looks on and (in many cases) supports...
Archery1969

greenmark wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:47 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Derek27 wrote:

It seems like Israel have decided that ethnic cleansing of Gaza right now is the logical solution to a constant threat that turned into one the biggest terror attacks the world has seen (so far).
The West Bank admin sits there watching people they are very close to being displaced/killed.

Israel’s problem is that it’s surrounded by Arab countries who don’t like them. That’s historic and will probably never change in our lifetimes.

The one thing they need to be careful about is if Turkey gets involved as that would be one hell of a military conflict.

But Israel, without ever admitting it does have nuclear weapons. Not saying that would use them but they might as a last resort.

The entire world now is becoming a very dangerous place. Some think the UK will be at war in some way before the year is out.
greenmark

Archery1969 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:00 pm
greenmark wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:47 pm
Archery1969 wrote:

Israel’s problem is that it’s surrounded by Arab countries who don’t like them. That’s historic and will probably never change in our lifetimes.

The one thing they need to be careful about is if Turkey gets involved as that would be one hell of a military conflict.

But Israel, without ever admitting it does have nuclear weapons. Not saying that would use them but they might as a last resort.

The entire world now is becoming a very dangerous place. Some think the UK will be at war in some way before the year is out.
The world does seem a more dangerous place. Putin going nuts with Hamas and Netanyahu following closely behind.
Iran and the Houti's trying to muddy the waters and China still hovering over Taiwan.
And that just scrapes the surface of human conflict over even just the last decade.
Why do we have such a thirst to waste human endeavour?
Que sera, sera. But it shouldn't be that way in the 21st century. What happened to intelligence, tolerance, compromise? :cry:
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:09 pm
Que sera, sera. But it shouldn't be that way in the 21st century. What happened to intelligence, tolerance, compromise? :cry:
Why should we expect the behaviour of Homo Sapiens over the estimated 200,000 years they have been on the planet to suddenly change in a few decades?
greenmark

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:57 am
greenmark wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:09 pm
Why should we expect the behaviour of Homo Sapiens over the estimated 200,000 years they have been on the planet to suddenly change in a few decades?
Because we learn as individuals. We have all that history at our disposal. Sure, a lot of humans acquired wealth, territory through violence, so I take your point.
I just find it so depressing that too many can't the pluses of compromise, tolerance, teamwork etc etc.
I realise I'm an outlier but a great number feel the same only to be thwarted by a selfish minority.
Rant over. :-)
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:56 am
Because we learn as individuals. We have all that history at our disposal.
Do we really though? We have 15 years of forum history and yet people keep posting the same questions over and over.

And this is very recent history too, imagine searching for posts from 200 or 2000 years ago :!:
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:26 pm
greenmark wrote:
Because we learn as individuals. We have all that history at our disposal.
Do we really though? We have 15 years of forum history and yet people keep posting the same questions over and over.

And this is very recent history too, imagine searching for posts from 200 or 2000 years ago :!:
Yes we do learn. It is our USP compared to the rest of the natural organisms. But we seem to have become stunted by an element I am struggling to understand.
We put people on the moon. But 7 billion live in poverty. Wrong thread for this comment. I apologise.
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:57 pm
We put people on the moon. But 7 billion live in poverty. Wrong thread for this comment. I apologise.
I think it's the right thread, only apologise when right :D

But hard to put more people on the moon these days : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4fyZNWsO4m8

In any case we seem to have another century before asteroid Apophis potentially hits Earth
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Because we learn as individuals. We have all that history at our disposal. Sure, a lot of humans acquired wealth, territory through violence, so I take your point.
I just find it so depressing that too many can't the pluses of compromise, tolerance, teamwork etc etc.
I realise I'm an outlier but a great number feel the same only to be thwarted by a selfish minority.
Rant over. :-)
I wasn't leaning towards the history of acquisition through violence I was simply saying that Darwin and evolution takes longer than a few decades to reverse 200,000 years of instinct!
firlandsfarm

Kai wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:26 pm

Don't, don't ... the thought of someone reading the political exchanges between @Derek27 and me in 2,000 years time!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
firlandsfarm

greenmark wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:57 pm
Yes we do learn. It is our USP compared to the rest of the natural organisms. But we seem to have become stunted by an element I am struggling to understand.
'
Sorry, can't agree that's a USP for us ... many other animals not only learn but also solve with reasoning ... take a squirrel's ability to reason a route through an assault course.

Return to “Chill Out Area”