Shit Happens

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:05 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:27 am
The disappointment is it's produced 100 points a month over the 3 months I have trialed it ... it may just be a sudden reversion to mean.
So the premise of this expected goals strategy is that the expectations would not only have to consistently match reality but also exceed it?

If that is correct then I think that disappointment is the correct expected result, and the first emotion that it invokes :)

Do you know how many memes there are out there, about "Expectations vs Reality" :)
I don't know how Xg is calculated. Seems to me Kai is right. Basing a stategy on something like Xg is doomed due to the pack dumping money into it. So the value evaporates. Unless you're brave enough to take the contrary position. I'm just discussing. I really don't know either way.
Bobajob

Plumpton 14:20
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firlandsfarm

Thanks for all the input guys but I wasn't looking for comment on guesstimates of the system. I just thought it might be helpful for less experienced members to see how quickly things can change and your system bites you on the bum. I posted it in the Psychology section to make the point if it happens to you then you need to manage it! But to briefly comment on some of the comments ...

@Headless Chuck: The match finished 1-0, nothing after that first minute goal by the far more superior team.

@Kai: It's not an xG strategy. I did say in response to sionascaig I didn't think it was xG related.
George Graham and I know all about 1-0 (to The Arsenal! :D ).
Trading/betting is about using statistics or a pin.

@Michael5482: I see using automation as allowing you to not sit in from of a screen all the time and allowing you to take positions you may not bother with manually and take them faster and more methodically without emotion. It is of course horses for courses, neither style is right and neither is wrong. :)

In this case the downturn was the result from some 700 bets ... The Celtic game was just the worst example.
Last edited by firlandsfarm on Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wearthefoxhat

greenmark wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:58 pm

I don't know how Xg is calculated. Seems to me Kai is right. Basing a stategy on something like Xg is doomed due to the pack dumping money into it. So the value evaporates. Unless you're brave enough to take the contrary position. I'm just discussing. I really don't know either way.
Xg is a score given (by whom?) that judges how strong the probability of a shot is of being a goal.
If one yard from the goal line = 0.98, If on the half-way line = 0.01 (unless your Beckham or Rooney)

The more shots the higher the Xg. Likely better than the old strategy of Shots on/off target and assigning 0.30/0.10 to each one.

I agree, if everyone en masse, followed it blindly then there would no value in-play, but still a fair measure of comparing the final score v each teams Xg. Some websites create new leagues based on Xg and it does make an interesting comparison.

IMO there are other metrics on Sofa-Score, when combined, gives an accurate view of the score-line. We are all looking for/at data to find an edge, Xg is just another one.
firlandsfarm

Bobajob wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:05 pm
As the thread says ... shit happens! :lol:
Bobajob

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:20 pm
Bobajob wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:05 pm
As the thread says ... shit happens! :lol:
You obviously didn't back it :lol:
Commiserations to all of those who did :(
Kai

firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:18 pm
Although some would say trading is about avoiding statistics :D

I realize you weren't looking for a discussion etc, that's why my comments were slightly tongue in cheek :)
firlandsfarm

Kai wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:36 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:18 pm
Although some would say trading is about avoiding statistics :D
Interesting thought ... I've thought of it as studying the statistics of the behaviour of others :D
Bobajob

Chepstow 13:00
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conduirez

When you have the data and think you know about probability of outcomes you may not be right, even a mathematics professor got this wrong at the time and argued against it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugbWqWCcxrg
Bobajob

Wetherby 14:42

I hope they give "BASHERS REFLECTION" a good 'talking to' when it gets back to the stables :)
Last edited by Bobajob on Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kai

Market shifts indeed happen

We've all been there and got the t-shirt

Let's not make a running thread out of it, focus on the positives :)

firlandsfarm

Kai wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:51 pm

Well it's not so much a running thread as a forum chapter ... I think it's important that (newbie) forumites can see that downturns are part and parcel of their experience here and that you need to be prepared for when a market/strategy suddenly moves against you without warning and mentally deal with it.
Bobajob

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:07 pm
Kai wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:51 pm

Well it's not so much a running thread as a forum chapter ... I think it's important that (newbie) forumites can see that downturns are part and parcel of their experience here and that you need to be prepared for when a market/strategy suddenly moves against you without warning and mentally deal with it.
Actually, I agree with Kai's sentiments.
The only way to 'learn' in this game is from your own personal 'sh*t happens' rather than read about somebody else's 'sh*t happens' :)
Derek27

Close shave on the way back from the supermarket. A bird dropped a bomb and it missed me by just three feet. :D

Return to “Trading Psychology”