Major Betfair issue

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Tribet1

Hi hopefully can shed some light on an issue with Betfair.
I went on holiday in January but before I did so Betfair asked me to change my password which I did as I thought it might just be some annoying thing that sites do from time to time and I'd deal with it when I got back.
When I got back I renewed my BetAngel subs but got an error message about a change of password,I then went to Betfair to do that and also changed my email as I don't use the registered one anymore.
Then I got a message saying my account was suspended and subsequently via live chat that my account was closed and I had no money in it which was a bit concerning as it had thousands of pounds in it.
I was asked to send in docs again which I have done and after 8 hrs on live chat thankfully someone at last found my money in another account.
However I don't have another account and never have,I'm now told my account is linked to another which had a self exclusion on it which is why it was closed.
This could have come from a long list of the group of books owned by Flutter as I can't open an account with them now apparently.
Now I was a full time arber some years ago for many years so had a lot of accounts but I never had any self exclusions or more than one BF account as I barely used it for arbing.
Anyway sorry for the long post but is anyone able to shed any light on this as it's proving very hard to get to the bottom of it from Betfairs end.
Euler

Betfair often match addresses and emails, and if they detect a duplicate will automatically close the account. Its very draconian but ultimately resolvable. It's possible that your email or something matches something elsewhere?
Tribet1

Thanks Peter that's eased my mind a little.
Derek27

Tribet1 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:07 pm
Hi hopefully can shed some light on an issue with Betfair.
I went on holiday in January but before I did so Betfair asked me to change my password which I did as I thought it might just be some annoying thing that sites do from time to time and I'd deal with it when I got back.
When I got back I renewed my BetAngel subs but got an error message about a change of password,I then went to Betfair to do that and also changed my email as I don't use the registered one anymore.
Then I got a message saying my account was suspended and subsequently via live chat that my account was closed and I had no money in it which was a bit concerning as it had thousands of pounds in it.
I was asked to send in docs again which I have done and after 8 hrs on live chat thankfully someone at last found my money in another account.
However I don't have another account and never have,I'm now told my account is linked to another which had a self exclusion on it which is why it was closed.
This could have come from a long list of the group of books owned by Flutter as I can't open an account with them now apparently.
Now I was a full time arber some years ago for many years so had a lot of accounts but I never had any self exclusions or more than one BF account as I barely used it for arbing.
Anyway sorry for the long post but is anyone able to shed any light on this as it's proving very hard to get to the bottom of it from Betfairs end.
When I accidentally changed my email address that I use to log on, they treated it as a new account and closed the old one. The account closure is automatic - it happens the moment you press the submit button, but I managed to get the issue resolved in a few days. Good luck.
Tribet1

Thanks that's exactly what I did and what happened.
Euler

The Bet Angel authentication account was closed like this when I updated the email address. So for a short period of time we were unable to onboard new customers!!
Tribet1

Thanks both I might actually sleep tonight,worst thing was I've had to use Sporting Index to make any money this weekend which is not quite the same.
Thanks again.
Euler

Tribet1 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:11 pm
Thanks both I might actually sleep tonight,worst thing was I've had to use Sporting Index to make any money this weekend which is not quite the same.
Thanks again.
Keep us in touch with progress.
Dai_Young

I'm in a quite similar position to you Tribet1. I changed the email address on my account last Tuesday not realising the havoc it would cause.

Account was immediately closed. I was straight onto chat and have had to go through the same process of re-sending documentation. I was told that they were checking my details against old accounts with Paddy Power, Skybet and Blue Square. I'm absolutely certain I never self-excluded from any of those sites but I have read elsewhere that even if you have closed an account with one of those firms, that would count as self-exclusion, and I can't 100% recall whether I ever did that or not.

Still waiting patiently for the outcome. Like you, obviously concerned that my account may be gone for good.

TL:DR....don't change your email address
Tribet1

Euler wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:16 pm
Tribet1 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:11 pm
Thanks again.
Keep us in touch with progress.

Will do.
Tribet1

Dai_Young wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:04 pm
I'm in a quite similar position to you Tribet1. I changed the email address on my account last Tuesday not realising the havoc it would cause.

Account was immediately closed. I was straight onto chat and have had to go through the same process of re-sending documentation. I was told that they were checking my details against old accounts with Paddy Power, Skybet and Blue Square. I'm absolutely certain I never self-excluded from any of those sites but I have read elsewhere that even if you have closed an account with one of those firms, that would count as self-exclusion, and I can't 100% recall whether I ever did that or not.

Still waiting patiently for the outcome. Like you, obviously concerned that my account may be gone for good.

TL:DR....don't change your email address

Ok I'm going to leave it until Wednesday before I have a go at them again,have they located your funds?
Their [email protected] email is a bit of a misnomer.
Dai_Young

I believe my account is okay, just frozen, because I enquired about the status of my unmatched bets and was told I had a small liability.

It's difficult to resist the temptation of contacting them every day. I was also planning on trying again on Wednesday with the premium accounts team.
To be clear, you've been waiting since January, Tribet1?
Tribet1

Dai_Young wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:49 pm
I believe my account is okay, just frozen, because I enquired about the status of my unmatched bets and was told I had a small liability.

It's difficult to resist the temptation of contacting them every day. I was also planning on trying again on Wednesday with the premium accounts team.
No Dai this was last Wednesday,I do have something to add ref me closing a Flutter account in the past but I'll leave that for now.
I have to say the lack of info from Betfair is frustrating but at least I know my funds are safe,don't bother ringing the priority number as they are clueless.
Dai_Young

Tribet1 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:02 pm
Dai_Young wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:49 pm

No Dai this was last Wednesday,I do have something to add ref me closing a Flutter account in the past but I'll leave that for now.
I have to say the lack of info from Betfair is frustrating but at least I know my funds are safe,don't bother ringing the priority number as they are clueless.
Ah, okay, similar timespan as me then.

Yep, equally frustrating and worrying. And even if my account does get reopened it's concerning that they are closing accounts so readily, cannot be good for liquidity.
Safeway

Tribet - I had exactly the same issue as you.

Somebody self-excluded on a Paddy Power account so for no reason at all they decided that was me and I thought my Betfair account was gone for good.

The insane and surreal experience that followed for a week or so left me speechless. In fact I still can't speak :cry:

Even when they admitted their mistakes and reinstated the account some idiot wanted to put some sort of new limits on me 'just to be on the safe side.' You've got the wrong man said I. Speechless.....still am.

Best of luck with it all. BF / PP / Flutter - all too big - need downsizing to sensible little firms.....some hope :?

Return to “Betfair exchange”