Cheltenham Festival 2024

The sport of kings.
Michael5482

It's nearly upon us and as a punter and horse racing lover I have to admit I'm not that bothered, I'll still be watching and have a bet but the excitement and anticipation has long gone for me, National Hunt racing is in massive decline and this has been one of the poorest seasons I can remember, it's been pure dross and there's no getting away from that.

The festival itself will be dominated by Ireland and Willie Mullins which has become all to predicitble. Hopefully a postive story will emegre next week during the festival and can muster up a little bit of excitement for it.
Euler

Jumps racing has really suffered this winter and it's average turnover per race is falling behind flat racing. But the Festival is a huge opportunity, so if you are active on it, I hope you have a good one.

Here are the previous Cheltenham threads: -

2023 - viewtopic.php?t=27182
2022 - viewtopic.php?t=25186
2021 - viewtopic.php?t=23247
2020 - viewtopic.php?t=20632
2019 - viewtopic.php?t=18429
2018 - viewtopic.php?t=15940
weemac

Once upon a time I'd have keenly anticipated big festivals like this, but not any more. Generally, the elite level of every televised sport holds ever decreasing interest for me, because the increasing concentration of power and money towards the already rich and powerful is a massive turn-off.
Kai

I don't get this antepost concept

Bets on nonrunners are counted as losers?
weemac

Kai wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:20 pm

Yes, but that risk is theoretically offset by the bigger odds you get ante-post.
Kai

weemac wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:22 pm
Kai wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:20 pm

Yes, but that risk is theoretically offset by the bigger odds you get ante-post.
OK I see, cheers mac
Euler

I was just chatting to somebody today about how I caught Kicking King at a huge price ANTEPOST in 2005 at Cheltenham. I only dabble in those markets, but the liquidity at bigger meetings can make it worthwhile.
Archangel

I still enjoy seeing the best of the best compete against each other. And at least they are all trying to win.
sionascaig

Not looked at the fields yet but seriously tempted to dutch the Irish horses - ponder....
Euler

sionascaig wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:09 pm
Not looked at the fields yet but seriously tempted to dutch the Irish horses - ponder....
Three big odds on in the first day, that will make it tougher to trade.
Euler

Tuesday markets now up on Betfair.
arbitrage16

I'm amazed to hear the negativity on here about Cheltenham! The amount of money in the market makes it a grand trading opportunity

I suppose that's because I'm not so focused on the racing, rather I just see it as a good trading opportunity.

Biggest piece of advice I can offer to anyone trading it for the first time - be very careful on the other cards happening at the same time. They can be treacherous, especially when considering the emotion that trading a Cheltenham market can bring.
hecojef928

arbitrage16 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:36 pm
I'm amazed to hear the negativity on here about Cheltenham! The amount of money in the market makes it a grand trading opportunity

I suppose that's because I'm not so focused on the racing, rather I just see it as a good trading opportunity.

Biggest piece of advice I can offer to anyone trading it for the first time - be very careful on the other cards happening at the same time. They can be treacherous, especially when considering the emotion that trading a Cheltenham market can bring.
While I understand its appeal for scalpers with large stakes due to the tight ranges, as a beginner, I struggled to get matched quite often. The ranges aren't as strong as they used to be, so there might be opportunities there, but would often catch me out when trying to scalp last year.

I think I'll be observing. I'm still relatively new, and my reading skills need improvement. Wishing good luck to you all.
gazuty

arbitrage16 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:36 pm
+1. Other markets have limited liquidity while Cheltenham is on
gazuty

Cheltenham. Exciting.

And it brings some curious threads to the forum.

Hope forum members do well.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”