Betfair scalping for beginners

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
NR169

One of the most experianced contributers here has a channel with loads of very educational videos. Very well worth visiting.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MGEducation ... rid&view=0
Euler

steven1976 wrote:Guess it depends if you are doing it for fun or looking to make money from it. If you won 17p on every single race for 12 months I guess you would be 1700 quid up if there is about 10,000 races and you traded them all.

So getting to understand the front of the markets and how and why they match money is important using small stakes before using larger stakes that you may not feel comfortable using. What works with 2 pound stakes may not neccesarilly work with 200 pound stakes. So play with a liabilty that your comfortable with and dont think about what you want to win.
I agree. When scalping you are limited to a small return on percentage and that can be tiny maybe 0.25% on something at 1.99 to 2.00. So you need to put through a lot of money before you make anything serious. But getting the technique right first is the most important thing.
kroni

Hello,
I just started using BA yesterday hopefully as to make my income from it (eventually). I'm just using small stakes at the moment to see how things work but already come across a couple of problems.
Earlier in this thread there is and example of scalping using "offset bet with greening" my first bet gets matched but the second bet doesn't get placed and I've tried a number of times now, I must be doing something wrong.
Also I was looking for a tennis match today so I can try scalping a serve but I could only find the matches at Roland Garros, but I was looking for an in-play match in a smaller tournament.
Any help is appreciated :)
Euler

You probably need to use the 'fill or kill' option. Else only one side of your bet will be placed.
kroni

i have a tick in that option, i have done everything mentioned in the example.
Euler

Put up your log, that may help identify what you are doing.
kelpie

kroni> suggest you focus on grand slams when they happen. Liquidity is your friend! However, if you want to find other games/tournaments in play click on "LIVE Games" at http://www.flashscore.com/tennis/

Then use search on Guardian to find the matches you want

Euler> like k I have not found "place fill or kill bets" works as you think. It seems to lock in only one side of an offset. fill or kill always gives me 100% of the back (or lay) or cancels but never gives me the [EDIT] offset lay (or back)
Euler

You need to select an offset bet action from the drop down box above it.
kelpie

Euler> tried em all and fluffed em all!!

That top left "Fill or kill" tick box has never worked for me, at least not if I understand what it says on the tin. No matter if it's straight offsets or with greening or stops... or 1 tick or 10 ticks... or 1 second or 60 seconds or 600 seconds. All that tick box does is place the back bet (lay) and leaves you stranded with the lay (or back) if the market runs against the position.

Fully admit I could be missing the point!!

wonder - do you have an automation script to share where you find it does work? Cheers
L.o.S

Have you checked the 'global settings' icon isn't crossed out in the ladder/one-click screen?
kelpie

L.o.S wrote:Have you checked the 'global settings' icon isn't crossed out in the ladder/one-click screen?
LoS> thanks.

Yup, that's off.

To triple check I just tried it again in paper mode and either way makes no difference. The fill or kill just buys the first position regardless if the offset is available

does "Place fill or kill bets" work for you?
L.o.S

Global settings should be turned on, tick fill or kill, and in the drop down box select offset bet, or offset bet with greening. Then when you take a position in the ladder the second that bet is taken the counter bet should appear automatically at the preset level of ticks away. Do you have all the above settings on?
kelpie

LoS> thanks

Yup, all that.

Global settings on. Offset bet. 1 tick. 600 seconds. And still no benefit for me. The first position is matched but the offset is STILL unmatched. Am I missing the point here!? It's not what it says on the tin - the first position has not been killed if the second position isn't filled.

*scratches head*
kroni

thanks for your help, think it was the global settings bit was off, works fine now.
Got lots to learn though, the markets keep going the opposite way to what i need them too. Has anyone got any basic tips as to what i should do and what not to do, and what to look for in a market. i'm currently trying scalping in the horsereacing markets, i have a fair knowledge of racing but that doesn't seem to help me when looking at the markets/graphs etc.
L.o.S

kelpie wrote:LoS> thanks

Yup, all that.

Global settings on. Offset bet. 1 tick. 600 seconds. And still no benefit for me. The first position is matched but the offset is STILL unmatched. Am I missing the point here!? It's not what it says on the tin - the first position has not been killed if the second position isn't filled.

*scratches head*
The second position wont automatically be filled, somebody has to take that bet. Therefor if you get it wrong and the market moves the wrong way you may have to take the loss.

The fill or kill just means if your first bet is never matched (ie too far from the money) it'll be cancelled automatically so you aren't leaving a trail of money everywhere.

The software doesn't promise to get both bets matched, just that as soon as the first bet is taken it will immediately put another bet on the other side.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”