Apple Inc : APPL

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
jimrobo

google glass looks awesome!!! I'd definitely jump in on them!

The iwatch is just an extension of your phone. Instead of having to take your phone out to see what notifications/check email/texts etc it gets pushed through to your wrist
andyfuller

Not sure I see that being a game changer, tbh it seems a bit pointless to me. Maybe I am missing the advantage of it though.
jimrobo

touted as the next big thing! google/samsung/apple and microsoft all supposed to be racing towards getting their versions out first.
andyfuller

I hope they aren't using apple maps:

iPad used in Syria:

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/20 ... hot-photo/
andyfuller

Be interested to hear other peoples views about Apple.

I was left with a feeling of let down after the new iPhones were launched. I was looking to upgrade to one of the new iPhones but don't really see the point given what the new phones have.

I also thought it a bit wierd that although these are supposed to be phones there was no mention at all of using it to make calls or send texts during the launch event.

Having seen the price this morning of the new 5s with Three compared to the 5c I am even more let down. The difference between the two phones is just an extra £50 up front cost.

IMO if you can afford the phones in the first place the chances are that you can afford the extra £50 to go for the 'better' model. So I am not at all surprised to hear that pre-sales of the 5c are disappointing and that shops are left with a lot of stock. I really can't see the appeal of the 5c - more so when you can get the 5 (for now while stocks last) for £6 a month cheaper and £20 cheaper upfront saving £164 over the contract for basically the same phone, though the more expensive one is made of plastic.

I am also underwhelmed by the latest version of iO7. It looks nicer but from what I have seen so far is not as functional in the way I use it.

As for the iWatch being the future - I am far from convinced. I just don't see Watches happening. IMO people wear watches as pieces of fashion on the large part. A bit like shoes - people wear what they like the look of, not because of what it can do.

Phones on the other hand are more about what they can do and not so much what they look like.

So I don't see everyone wanting to wear the same kind of watches for the above reasons. I can see them appealing to some tech people but the person in the street - no.

I also hear people say Apple will launch a TV that will revolutionise the way we watch TV - again I don't see it. How often do people buy new TV's? From my experience very rarely. TV's just last for a long long time. The vast majority of people have in the last 10 years upgraded to flatscreen HD tv's and as such I don't see people ditching their perfectly good tv's for some new tv with added features. Unlike phones which are tied to contracts and in turn lead to people naturally getting new ones every couple of years, TV's just sit in the corner of the room and just work away year after year. Perhaps my experience is different but everyone I know probably changes their car more often than their TV!

Apple seem to have lost their way imo and like most big companies that have huge success with innovation (insert Betfair) - they are struggling to carry it on. Yes they are still hugely profitable but more and more people seem to be looking elsewhere and considering other option.

Are the glory days of Apple behind them in terms of innovation - I think so!
Euler

Y, I'm in broad agreement with that. The iPhone 4s is sort of where it all stopped, people are happy with that and fewer and fewer are upgrading at the moment it seems.

The 5s and 5c hasn't motivated me to upgrade and basically it looks like I will have to shell out £600 to get a fingerprint sensor, not going to do that. I'll wait till the fuss has died down then go into a store to have a play, but I can't see me upgrading at these prices.

The 5c should have been pitched as a deep budget alternative to the 5s.

On various trips abroad I started using local sims so on the last trip I decided to buy a dual sim device, Apple don't do one so I bought an Andriod device. It's very comparable to Apple now and the functionality is so similar that I coped just fine. There were other plus points as well and most importantly it's much cheaper, cost me just short of £200.

So I think unless Apple change their philosophy then they will struggle. For example, I keep bleating to them about allowing a pointing device on the iPad, it's a complete pain for detailed work that you can't use one and it's something that other tablets have cottoned on to.

I get where Apple is coming from and why they do the stuff they do, but they are going to turn Niche again at the moment it seems.
Will Sharpe

andyfuller wrote:Are the glory days of Apple behind them in terms of innovation - I think so!
Yes I can see your points regarding slowing innovation. But isn’t that exactly what to be expected from every company. When Apple revolutionized the smart phone market no one really saw them coming.
Innovation of that type and scale are rare and won’t happen with any regularity. One could argue that Apple are victims of their own success, they have delivered multiple innovations during in a short (industrial) time span.

Look at Nokia for instance; they were world dominators five or so years ago but couldn’t manage to adapt to the new world. The risk is that Apple is heading the same way but isn’t it more likely that they will end up like the company they love to hate- Microsoft. A huge install base, mediocre innovation, yet still very profitable?
steven1976

I don't know how you boys get on with them little tiny Apple phones and all the messing around in the istore to copy stuff from computers. I find them very uncomfortable to read on. No idea what size the 5s is but I'd imagine they have just upsized it a mm or two, to leave room for another 5-6 releases before they get up to a real size. I'd imagine who controls the 5.5-6.3inch phones will be the daddies in the future as they can still fit in a single hand and pocket and are comfortable to read and email on.
I'm on note 2 and was going to get note 3 but I've also been a bit disappointed by their latest model.
Euler

How to disable the most annoying features of iOS7

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/a ... tures.html
andyfuller

Wish it had a few more on it.

I don't see the new double click of the home button as an improvement - you now have to swipe many more times to move from app to app. Before you had 7 last used apps on the bottom now 2!

To delete an email or photo they have added an extra step - you used to just press the trash icon. Now you then have to confirm it.

And don't get me started on the Calendar :evil:

Is it possible to roll back to iO6?
jimrobo

I just picked up a z1 and its excellent! can definitely recommend!
andyfuller

Apple being discussed along with other phone makers on Newsnight in a bit. Apple being predicted to be the next Nokia and Blackberry.
Wainwright

Blackberry and Apple crumble;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24182038
jimrobo

9 million units sold on the first weekend!!! wow!!

Return to “Trading Financial markets”