Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
Michael5482

I prefer National Hunt Racing and been very disappointed with this season for all the obvious reasons but looking forward to the flat season kicking off at Doncaster tomorrow, at a glance looks a very decent opening card.

Just bought tickets for the Dante, Ebor at York and The Derby, ITV Racing hopefully be wheeling the totty out as well.

There might be better prize money around the world now and you could make a case one or two flat festivals elsewhere are better but when you put The Derby, Royal Ascot, The St Ledger, The Guineas, Glorious Goodwood etc together every summer nowhere comes close to what British Racing can roll out.
conduirez

I use to prefer National Hunt racing, but now prefer Flat meetings, Newmarket Rowley Mile is only 10 minutes away from me, and going to the racecourse on a nice warm summers day appeals more than heading off to Huntingdon on a cold winters afternoon.

I will also be going to other tracks, Royal Ascot, Glorious Goodwood, the John Smiths Cup at the Knavesmire, The Eclipse at Sandown, are all on my list.

One funny thing I can say about living near and going a lot to Newmarket, is everybody tells me they are close friends with Charlie Appleby, and every runner he has one or more of them will say Charlie told them to have a couple of quid on this one. :lol: All the years I have been going to Newmarket Mr. Appleby has only spoken to me once, and he used the magic words 'Excuse me', because I was blocking some stairs. :lol: :lol: :lol: That is true.
Michael5482

conduirez wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:40 pm
I use to prefer National Hunt racing, but now prefer Flat meetings, Newmarket Rowley Mile is only 10 minutes away from me, and going to the racecourse on a nice warm summers day appeals more than heading off to Huntingdon on a cold winters afternoon.

I will also be going to other tracks, Royal Ascot, Glorious Goodwood, the John Smiths Cup at the Knavesmire, The Eclipse at Sandown, are all on my list.

One funny thing I can say about living near and going a lot to Newmarket, is everybody tells me they are close friends with Charlie Appleby, and every runner he has one or more of them will say Charlie told them to have a couple of quid on this one. :lol: All the years I have been going to Newmarket Mr. Appleby has only spoken to me once, and he used the magic words 'Excuse me', because I was blocking some stairs. :lol: :lol: :lol: That is true.
Same really I'm moving towards flat basically because of the decline of National Hunt racing. Catterick, Sedgefield, Redcar and Thirsk are my local tracks, York and Newcastle are easy to get to on the train 40 mins at most, normally get to around 10 meetings a year mainly between them. I like York great City, great course, great racing, kids go free, reasonably priced, always a good crowd and it's easy to get to.

I'd love to do them all but these big meetings cost a fortune, tickets, hotel, food, drink, and gambling The Derby will cost the price of a decent 2 week holiday tbh but if you like racing some of these great sporting just have to be experienced.

We once pinched Derek Thompson's taxi at Newcastle races by jumping the queue when he was working for Channel 4 racing, he wasn't happy :lol: That's my racing claim to fame, sorry Tommo :oops:
StellaBot

A suggestion only

You could join the Coral Racing Club (its free)
There is a chance of applying for free balloted tickets for members
when a horse runs (locally)
I have never got any yet that I applied for

Other options

Join Rewards for Racing its free

Check website

So dont have to gamble or bet
purchases with currys, pc world, Argos etc etc earn points to go racing

Betting points redeemed from Bet 365 and Im sure others
arbitrage16

What is this weirdness 14.10 Newbury?
to75ne

arbitrage16 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:20 pm
some sort of medical emergency at the cross fence, not sure if its a jockey or staff or member of public.

indefinite delay to racing.
conduirez

One night somebody wants to go in the middle of Doncaster racecourse and chop all those trees down, before the dog walkers and golfers can come in the morning and complain.
Euler

to75ne wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:23 pm
arbitrage16 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:20 pm
some sort of medical emergency at the cross fence, not sure if its a jockey or staff or member of public.

indefinite delay to racing.
That's going to mix things up today. The card looks pretty decent, but that's stuck an oar in it.

Hope the issue isn't serious.
Euler

It's not been a great start to the premier racedays concept. I'm pretty sure not one has gone to schedule so far this year.
arbitrage16

Going down on the 14.10 at Newbury. Wonder if theyu hold for Doncaster ...
to75ne

arbitrage16 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:32 pm
1 1/2 delay to racing at newbury and they cant give it another 5 minutes or so to prevent a clash with the biggest race of the day at doncaster.

premier racing my arse, still run by the same wankers.
Alpha322

Newbury messed up i hate when races are delayed it gives false price moves dam :twisted: out of pocket over £100 terrible start
Euler

to75ne wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:46 pm
arbitrage16 wrote:
1 1/2 delay to racing at newbury and they cant give it another 5 minutes or so to prevent a clash with the biggest race of the day at doncaster.

Y, they really arsed that up.
conduirez

Euler wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:38 pm
to75ne wrote:
arbitrage16 wrote:

To be fair Newbury were pushed against time to get all their races in before it gets dark, it may have been worse, they may have delayed Doncaster and Bangor, each by 10 minutes.
conduirez

conduirez wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:17 pm
Euler wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:38 pm
to75ne wrote:

To be fair Newbury were pushed against time to get all their races in before it gets dark, it may have been worse, they may have delayed Doncaster and Bangor, each by 10 minutes.
Every Fence in home straight taken out at Newbury for last race now. Low sun,

Return to “Trading Horse racing”