Football Pools: Moral Frenzy

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
L.o.S

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21518471

Interesting article about football pools, I've never seen one in my life but they have been important for a long time. I remember reading an article about Peter solving the pools and winning them, I wonder if he came across the same predjudices?

The 'moral frenzy' as it's described is still alive today. Of any full/part time traders: how many of your friends or family don't take the time to understand trading and class you as a compulsive gambler?

I had an old work colleague who blatantly refuted my explanation of trading and said 'you may as well be putting £2000 on red and hope for the best'. The word bet has such a tarnised reputation; I don't think it'll change though. People stick by their old phrases such as 'the house wins' and 'the bookie always wins' and aren't open to the changes brought by Betfair.

All thoughts welcome!
freddy

I rarely tell people what i do for that reason,
the world is full of closed minded people.
I just say im self employed now, just carn't be bothered explaining anymore :?

Even If you do People seem to think your either lying, having a laugh or delusional :lol: ,
and even occasionally if they do believe you,
they then ask u for a tip for the national or something daft like that and quickly turn back into none believers when you carn't give them one :)

There clearly is still a huge stigma attached to gambling and the vast majority of the general public have no idea how it works or how to make money from it.
If i said i was starting new business with 10k of my own money, then no one would bad an eyelid,
but why ? i ask, it carries exactly the same risks you could lose everything, if your not smart about it.

All Life is a gamble as far as im concerned, it's just most people don't seem to realise :D
L.o.S

Amen Freddy, it's rare to find somebody who understands what a lay bet actually is, never mind trading.

And true, I tell friends I can't pick a winner to save myself (very true) and they think I'm insane!

Still, burn £10k on equity markets and you're a seasoned trader who's in it for the long haul. Lose a tenner on an incorrect swing trade and you're now a failed mug punter :D

Return to “Trading Psychology”