Scottish Independence Vote

Betfair trading & Punting on politics. Be aware there is a lot of off topic discussion in this group centred on Political views.
superfrank

LeTiss 4pm wrote:Similar to Kinnock in 1992 when addressing students in Sheffield (for those of us old enough to remember!)
sadly yes i'm old enough to remember that too!
marko236 wrote:Salmond will smell of Roses what ever happens, if the Brittish goverment refuse to let Scotland use the pound then he'l refuse to take on the debt
refusing to take on the debt is also a joke position that could never happen. Salmond is embarrassing his country (he's like a Scottish John Prescott) and i'm sure a majority of Scots will see through his small-minded Braveheart crap and vote No.
marko236

If it ends in a yes vote Scotland will get what Salmond wants, are the English going to look like bullys? We have been using the pound for the same time as England, are we going to get the Queen as head of state? ofcourse we are and that means we are covered by the British army.
to75ne

marko236 wrote:ofcourse we are and that means we are covered by the British army.
does that mean that the scots will be happy and glad to be under the protection english, northern irish and welsh nuclear weapons, and continue to allow their lochs to remain as nuclear submarine bases? :)
marko236

to75ne wrote:
marko236 wrote:ofcourse we are and that means we are covered by the British army.
does that mean that the scots will be happy and glad to be under the protection english, northern irish and welsh nuclear weapons, and continue to allow their lochs to remain as nuclear submarine bases? :)
Scotland doesn't need the nuclear submarines in Scotland if anyone was to attack Scotland with a nuke is Nato going to not fire back?
Euler

In a competitive world it simple doesn't make sense to increase costs, there is your simple answer. Then again maybe the South East could campaign for 'full independence' while opting to keep the pound and get rid of the bits it didn't want, hmm.

The world is a better place for people getting along with each other and not drawing arbitrary lines on a map IMHO.

Interested market, reminds me of the London 2012 voting market.
Euler

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-28691840

Have people forgotten recent history already? You can't share a currency without the ability to raise and set taxes centrally and to do that effectively requires loss of sovereignty, I.e the opposite of independence.
superfrank

agree we'll all be better off together in the long run although that South East stuff does get on my nerves a bit!... the home counties are more affluent purely because of their close proximity to London (which gets more than it's fair share of public spending, if you include all the public institutions based there, despite all it's capital city status advantages). York was once effectively the capital of England and, had it remained so, then wealth might be distributed somewhat differently in the UK. you could also argue that the rest of England is paying the price for the excesses of London's (and Scotland's) financial services sector.
superfrank

drift on No after YouGov poll suggests it's getting tighter.
marko236

superfrank wrote:drift on No after YouGov poll suggests it's getting tighter.
From what i can tell living in Scotland the No vote could drift higher.
James1st

NO is a cracking bet at 1.33.

BTW the "gap" closed so much last September (2012) it went the other way. Must be the Autumn blues.

The problem with polls is that the most passionate voters (the yes nationalists) actively seek out polls to reinforce their point. The real gap is probably much larger than the current YouGov poll suggests.
steven1976

I see some bloke is pretty confident that it will be a no vote.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... dependence

I think i read somewhere else that he had upped his stake to pushing on 900K
superfrank

James1st wrote:NO is a cracking bet at 1.33.

BTW the "gap" closed so much last September (2012) it went the other way. Must be the Autumn blues.

The problem with polls is that the most passionate voters (the yes nationalists) actively seek out polls to reinforce their point. The real gap is probably much larger than the current YouGov poll suggests.
agree with all that.

shame there's no winning margin market.
LeTiss

Still two weeks to go - the market has now nearly £3M matched

I'm wondering if Peter Webb and his team has historical records for matched amounts on big political events like General Elections?

I reckon that £3M will easily go over £10M come 18th Sept!

It's had lots of movements as well.....a bloody marvellous market to trade! :D
Euler

I do have some data. I'll dig it out next week if you prompt me.

Enjoying the market but don't like the nationalistic undertones in politics at the moment. It's never served anybody well as history shows us.
LinusP

This viz that I uploaded a while ago allows you to filter down to politics...

https://public.tableausoftware.com/view ... y_count=no

Return to “Political betting & arguing”