Keeping bets in play

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
fishtownraider

Hi. I have a football trading rule that places orders a day (23:59:59) in advance (so I'm near the front of the queue at my chosen odds). Matches KO at all hours. I'd like the Keep in Play button to be selected at the same time as I place the bet so that I don't have to keep BA running all day and night. Is this possible? Thanks.
andy28

If you are using BA and is saved to your computer you can not turn your PC off. You cant even have it a sleep or hibernating, all you can do is turn off the monitor. If you want it running 24/7 and turn off your PC then I think you need the BA VPS. I am no expert but that's my understanding
Anbell

fishtownraider wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:44 pm
Hi. I have a football trading rule that places orders a day (23:59:59) in advance (so I'm near the front of the queue at my chosen odds). Matches KO at all hours. I'd like the Keep in Play button to be selected at the same time as I place the bet so that I don't have to keep BA running all day and night. Is this possible? Thanks.
You have to run another rule (after your bets are placed): Keep All Unmatched Bets (or variants)
fishtownraider

andy28 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 2:10 am
If you are using BA and is saved to your computer you can not turn your PC off. You cant even have it a sleep or hibernating, all you can do is turn off the monitor. If you want it running 24/7 and turn off your PC then I think you need the BA VPS. I am no expert but that's my understanding
Thanks, Andy. I think that might well be true if you want BA to place bets in your absence, but here I'm talking about advance orders that I've already put into the market (which don't disappear when you shut down BA). I need them to be set as "kept when the market goes in play", but I should be able to do that at the time I place the order if I can configure the keep bet rule correctly.
fishtownraider

Anbell wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 5:20 am
fishtownraider wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:44 pm
You have to run another rule (after your bets are placed): Keep All Unmatched Bets (or variants)
Thanks @Anbell. I know about adding the Keep All Unmatched Bets rule to the rules file, but I'm not configuring it correctly, I think. In Peter's example (horses), I think he configures it to fire just before the off, but that will only work if BA is running at that time. I'm in bed when half of my matches kick off. As a workaround, after I'd placed all my orders for the next 24 hours I configured the Keep rule to fire at a fixed date and time and set it for a couple of minutes into the future. That changed all my orders from 'Cancel' to 'Keep', but I'm sure there must be a better way. (I wonder if I should be using the Keep All Unmatched Bets on Selection (Price Dependent) instead. I don't yet understand exactly what that one does.)
fishtownraider

OK, I think I've managed to work this one out for myself. Rule type: Keep In Play All Unmatched Bets / Rule Trigger Time: Relative to: first rule to trigger / Arm trigger: 00:00:01 to 00:02:00 (or whatever margin you need to guarantee a refresh).
jamesedwards

fishtownraider wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:39 pm
OK, I think I've managed to work this one out for myself. Rule type: Keep In Play All Unmatched Bets / Rule Trigger Time: Relative to: first rule to trigger / Arm trigger: 00:00:01 to 00:02:00 (or whatever margin you need to guarantee a refresh).
Yes you can set bets to keep at any time after they have hit the market.

In some circumstances even keep bets can be cancelled before the off, but that's usually when there are significant non-runners in events such as horse racing.

Be aware that when you keep a football bet, I think (but not 100% certain) that it also then keeps that bet through major events such as goals. So you risk certain bets being picked off at very poor value if a goal goes against you before you get matched.
fishtownraider

jamesedwards wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 2:51 pm
fishtownraider wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:39 pm
Yes you can set bets to keep at any time after they have hit the market.

In some circumstances even keep bets can be cancelled before the off, but that's usually when there are significant non-runners in events such as horse racing.

Be aware that when you keep a football bet, I think (but not 100% certain) that it also then keeps that bet through major events such as goals. So you risk certain bets being picked off at very poor value if a goal goes against you before you get matched.
Yes, that's a good point, James. It's not something that might affect this particular strategy, but definitely worth keeping in mind.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”