Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
conduirez

Diggy1884 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:52 pm
Not got the official tweet but Doncaster likely to be delayed or cancelled.
Cancelled by the look of it, some jockeys going home.
Euler

Heavy snow, as forecast.
lotora

Delays at Lingfield
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamesedwards

The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) and Arena Racing Company (ARC) can confirm that the Find More Big Deals At BetUK Handicap (Class 6), which was due to be staged at Newcastle at 5.05pm today (Thursday 8 February) has been postponed and will be run as part of Saturday’s card at the same venue.

This move has been agreed after it was identified this morning that the race, which is scheduled to take place over 1m2f42y on the round course, was due to go off after sunset. Only the straight course at Newcastle is covered by floodlights, meaning that it would not be safe to stage the race as planned due to low light.

The BHA’s General Instructions state that in no circumstances will a race time be altered so that a race is run earlier than the advertised race time. This is due to the implications for the betting public, alongside potential regulatory, safety and logistical issues. While alternative solutions were explored, the decision has ultimately been made to postpone the race.

Connections of the ten declared runners have been contacted by the BHA to advise of this change, as well as to offer an apology and a reimbursement payment to assist with costs incurred in having made arrangements for the race to be staged as planned.

The race will now be staged as part of Saturday’s card at Newcastle. Original declarations will stand, however non-runners will be allowed without penalty. The opening race of today’s meeting will be delayed by ten minutes, from 4.30 to 4.40, in order to reduce the gap between that race and the 5.35. The remainder of today’s card will continue as scheduled from race three onwards.

We are sorry for any inconvenience and confusion resulting from this error. We will now take steps to identify what caused this issue to ensure it is not repeated.

Newcastle 5.05pm race cancelled this evening. They forgot about when it gets dark. Laughable.
to75ne

its not much to ask that they know their own rules, wankers.
lotora

Doncaster abondoned
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lotora

Newcastle
Diggy1884

conduirez wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:00 pm
Diggy1884 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:52 pm
Not got the official tweet but Doncaster likely to be delayed or cancelled.
Cancelled by the look of it, some jockeys going home.
Indeed, jocks turned up despite the weather, so did I.

But it seems a more sensible approach is to check the weather forecast when it is likely to be a bit rough as pointed out. I think this will be a golden rule from now on as it doesn't really work for my trading when it is knock on effect delays etc

Have a nice day everyone
jamesedwards

How often, if at all, do UK/Ire race courses adjust the distance between the final obstacle and the finish line?
lotora

5 minutes delay at Kempton Park
Diggy1884

Nice to see Betfair is at top of this list and wasn't excluded due to being an exchange.

I think little nudges like this can really help change warped opinions, a couple of my friends who have an interest in horse racing are super reluctant to join an exchange as they hold pretty ignorant views around laying and exchanges in general.

I sent them this but it is quite probable they will continue to slug it at sky/365 and complain xyz is bent or whatever. eshk

Feels like Betfair have made an effort on the user experience front with the introduction of 'Beacons' which is great too.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/rp-reco ... JK4D17kbR/
Diggy1884

lotora wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:57 pm
5 minutes delay at Kempton Park
Cheers for these updates mate!
Diggy1884

jamesedwards wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:24 pm
How often, if at all, do UK/Ire race courses adjust the distance between the final obstacle and the finish line?
I think they did this at Musselburgh recently as each verdict mentioned something along the lines of 'add x to the distance'. I didn't pay too much attention to the details at the time but it did stand out as peculiar (my 1st couple of months on jumps though so no veteran). Can't say I've seen it often or at all before, perhaps others have though?

I'm guessing it is to do with weather/conditions or an incident on the track? Safety/fairness? It's likely they post the alterations somewhere like they do with delays.
conduirez

Diggy1884 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:16 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:24 pm
I think they did this at Musselburgh recently as each verdict mentioned something along the lines of 'add x to the distance'. I didn't pay too much attention to the details at the time but it did stand out as peculiar (my 1st couple of months on jumps though so no veteran). Can't say I've seen it often or at all before, perhaps others have though?

I'm guessing it is to do with weather/conditions or an incident on the track? Safety/fairness? It's likely they post the alterations somewhere like they do with delays.
Everything is laid out in the British Horse Racing General Instructions (BHAGI rules).

I only have ever seen hurdles moved on vary rare occasions (I do not mean just omitting them) in my 40 odd years of watching racing, and this would need approval from the BHA. Obviously, most courses could not move their chase fences, only tracks with mobile fences would have the ability, but I suspect these fit in set places in the running rail.

The distance changes, Diggy, you are referring to are normally when they move the running rail off the existing rail, to try and keep the ground fresh. The racecourse has to notify the BHA, and the BHA produces a sheet of all changes to distances of racing which is then distributed.

If you are really interested you should be able to find these on line somewhere, but they are boring.

Edit

Here's one I just quickly looked up, but there are more BHAGI sections than this.

https://media.britishhorseracing.com/bh ... anning.pdf
lotora

5 min delays at Newbury

Return to “Trading Horse racing”