Biggest Month in Oz Racing

grigsy

Few interesting dates for the diary with the biggest meetings in the Australian calendar coming up at Caulfield, Moonee Valley and Flemington:

Caulfield
9th Oct - Caulfield Guineas
13th Oct - 1,000 Guineas
16th Oct - Caulfield Cup

Moonee Valley
23rd Oct - Cox Plate

Flemington
30th Oct - Victoria Derby
2nd Nov - Melbourne Cup
4th Nov - Crown Oaks
6th Nov - Emirates Stakes

Plenty of prestigious support races too on these days, so they are likely to be the most active Australian markets of the year.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

I am looking forward to it very much.

I am trying to find better information sources for Aussie racing, feeds, commentary and so on. Can you give me any pointers?

I've tried streaming from some of the racing channels but they are blocked with a UK ip address. I am also looking for a local VPS provider.
sweetybt

I always listen to http://www.2ky.com.au/, the delay is not too bad and the non runners come straight to the radio guys witha a little ding a ling as a warining.

I am going to miss a lot of these races. Saturday I am on a bus to Belgium at 6.30am for the kids Rugby, Melbourne Cup week is half term and I am off to Sardinia. Any traders in Sardinia????

Good Luck
grigsy

Bet Angel wrote:I am also looking for a local VPS provider.
Just re-posting what I put in the Aussie full time trader thread, from March this year, as you asked this before and I personally don't have any more suggestions other than that. Re-posting it here in case you didn't see it in the original thread.

====================

Have had two suggestions thus far. I don't know what they are talking about either, so I'll post their responses verbatim.

1. "I've used DigitalPacific before and they were good although it looks like they only have Linux based VPS, or you might need to go VDS," Link for info is: http://www.digitalpacific.com.au/hostin ... d-hosting/

2. "The best provider would depend on the purpose for the VPS. I have not had much dealings with any providers except for AussieHQ and they seem to know what they're doing." Link is: http://www.aussiehq.com.au/
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

101013 - 0540 - Copy.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sweetybt

Nice one, I got up as well to trade and to watch the miners come up.

This morning has covered this week's premium charge. :?
Zenyatta

Ah, the Melbourne cup, argably the world's greatest horse race. Never seen the cup live, but punted on it and watched it on TV lots of time. Scene of some my greatest punting coups, including 10-1 shot 'Doriemus' (Australia) and 20-1 shot 'Delta Blues' (Japan). Marvellous.

The whole of NZ and Australia stops to watch this race (that's why it's called 'the race that stops a nation'), and in Melbourne it's a public holiday.

This year I'm going to fly out to Melbourne to watch the cup live. I've visited Melbourne a couple of times before (my brother used to live there) and I can tell you that its one of the world's most beautiful cities (especially at this time of year when the sun is shining and its a carnival atmosphere). You English pasty faced readers need to get into the Australia sunshine! :lol: Watching the cup in person in Melbourne should definitely be on your 'list of things to do before you die'.

As for tips, generally you should stick to local Australian horses at somewhat longer odds. This is a handicap race, it generally doesn't favor favourites, and overseas horses almost never handle the trip either (with only one or two notable exceptions in the entire history of the modern era).

See you all at the cup, hopefully paid for with winnngs from my trades and speculative punts :D
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Would love to go and see the cup one day and experiance the atmosphere. I see the Caulfield Cup was in a bit of doubt but the organisers are, obvioulsy, keen to see it go ahead.

http://www.melbourneracingclub.net.au/n ... ing-update
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

£1.25m traded on the Caulfield cup, looking good for the big one.

A couple of nice moves on the two favourites.
101016 - 0605 - Caulfield cup - Alcopop.png
101016 - 0605 - Caulfield cup - Shocking.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grigsy

Had a nightmare in the Cup. Was trading well and on course for my first ever $50 green up, when Bet Angel crashed on me seconds before the off. Bizarre, the data still fed through, but I could not click on anything, it became completely unresponsive. I frantically rang Betfair but, by the time I had gone through the ID process and explained what I wanted to do, there was not enough back money in the market for me to lay off the $100 back order on Faint Perfume, so I had to sit there and watch it all go down the toilet.

Had to then abort trading as I was in a bit of paddy.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, that's a mare. I usually have multiple back up solutions for the bigger races just in case something like this happens.

The craziest thing that ever happened to me was accidentally switching off my PC. Was watching a swing trade take shape nicely, sat back in the chair, raised my leg and kicked the stand by button. Doh!
blueport

I had a decent result on the cup. The larger liquidity of these markets can be frustrating though.

Zenyatta, I'm not going to the cup this year but I am taking next Saturday off to head to Moonee Valley for the Cox Plate meeting.

Should be a great day with So You Think v More Joyous in the Plate and the possibility of Hay List, Hot Danish and Black Caviar clashing in the sprint.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

£2.23m traded on the Cox plate, but a very short priced favourite which obviously drove volume.
grigsy

Bet Angel wrote:£2.23m traded on the Cox plate, but a very short priced favourite which obviously drove volume.
Do you know how that compared to last year? I haven't seen such volume on an Oz market, but I've only been here since Feb. It will be interesting to see how much money there is on the Melbourne Cup a week on Tuesday, and just as interesting to see how So You Think goes backing up for the double. He's all class.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

It's difficult to do accurate year on year comparisons as this year the favourite was at a very short price so that generates more liquidity. The racing over the next week will give a more accurate comparison as the odds should be about the same.

Return to “Australian”